Turkmen Air Force
|Turkmen Air Force|
Turkmenistan Air Force roundel
|Size||3,000 personnel, 72 aircraft|
|Colors||Yellow, blue, and white|
The Turkmen Air Force is the air force branch of the armed forces of Turkmenistan. It was formed from former Soviet Air Forces units within that region of the Turkestan Military District. The Turkmen Air Force inherited some 300 Soviet aircraft, and has pilots trained in Ukraine.
The IISS in 2012 said the Air Force had 3,000 personnel with 94 combat capable aircraft.
The total number of aircraft is around 72. It said there were two fighter/ground attack squadrons with MiG-29/MiG-29UB (total of 24 both types), Sukhoi Su-17 Fitter-Bs (65) and two Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoots (with 41 more being refurbished). It reported one transport squadron with Antonov An-26 'Curl' (1), and Mi-8s and Mi-24s (8 and 10 listed in service respectively). Training units had Sukhoi Su-7 Fitter-As (3 listed in service) and L-39 Albatros. Air defence missile units had SA-2, SA-3, and SA-5.
|MiG-29||Soviet Union/ Russia||multirole||24|
|Su-25||Soviet Union/ Russia||attack||20|
|An-26||Soviet Union/ Ukraine||transport||1|
|An-74||Soviet Union/ Ukraine||heavy transport||2|
|Mil Mi-17||Soviet Union/ Russia||utilitary||15|
|Mil Mi-24||Soviet Union/ Russia||attack||10|
- 99th Aviation Base (former 67th Mixed Aviation Regiment) (Mary-2 airbase) with МiG-29 and Su-25.
- 47th Separate Mixed Aviation Squadron (Аk-Tepe/Ashkabad) with Аn-26/24, Мi-24 and Мi-8.
- 107th Fighter Aviation Regiment (Ak-Tepe) with 38 МiG-23 and 20 МiG-25 (not operational).
- 31st Separate Aviation Squadron (Chardzhou/Turkmenabad) with МiG-21, Su-7, L-39, Yak-28 and Аn-12 (not operational). Former 366th Independent Helicopter Squadron.
- 55th Fighter Aviation Regiment (Balkanabat) with МiG-23М (not operational). Former 179th Fighter Aviation Regiment.
- 56th Storage Base (Kyzyl-Arvat) with МiG-23. Former 217th Fighter/Bomber Aviation Regiment.
- 1st Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment 'Turkmenbashi' (Bikrova/Ashkabad) with 2K11 Krug.
- 2nd Radio-Technical Brigade.