Established in 1926 in Poltoratsk (now Ashgabat), as the Ashgabat Kinofabrica. In 1938 it was renamed to "Ashgabat studio". Since 1958 - Turkmenfilm.
In 1948, an earthquake building Turkmenfilm fallen. A few years later it was restored.
For a long time the studio was named Alty Karliev.
In 2007, the decree of the president of Turkmenistan association "Turkmentelekinofilm" was derived from the General Directorate of Turkmen TV studio, it was named after the legendary ancestor of the Turkmens - Oghuz Khagan. Oversee the work of the new association entrusted to the Ministry of culture and TV & radio broadcasting of Turkmenistan.
In August 2010, the President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov said at a workshop on Culture and the media said that the union "Turkmenfilm" named Oguzkhan should establish cooperation with major film companies of the world, to create a new movie about the history and present-day Turkmenistan.
- “Turkmenfilm” association prepares for premiere of three feature films
- Turkmen president changes chief of Turkmenfilm
- Turkmenistan establishes film producing association "Turkmenfilm" named after Ogyz Han
- В столице Туркмении сгорело здание киностудии
- Туркменские кинематографисты сняли художественный фильм об ахалтекинцах
- President instructs "Turkmenfilm" association to produce films about construction sites