Turkish New Zealanders
plus a further 1,600 Turkish Cypriots)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Wellington · Dunedin · Christchurch · Auckland|
|New Zealand English, Turkish|
Turkish New Zealanders or New Zealand Turks refers to Turkish people who are New Zealand citizens or residents living in New Zealand, or people who are of Turkic descent. Although a small community, Turks are the most visible middle eastern community residing in New Zealand. Many operate their own businesses specialising in tradition Turkish food, such as kebab, baklava, and Turkish delight.
According to New Zealand census figures, the number of residents born in Turkey is steadily increasing (note that these figures do not include New Zealand-born Turks):
|(Source: New Zealand Census) |
New Zealand Turkish Society Inc. www.turkish.org.nz
- Arab New Zealanders
- Turkish Australians
- New Zealand–Turkey relations
- Turkish Diaspora
- New Zealand Turkish Society Inc.
- Pearl of the Islands. "How many Turks living in New Zealand?". Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Star Kıbrıs. "'Sözünüzü Tutun'". Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. "Other Middle Eastern peoples:The Turks and others". Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- The Encyclopedia of New Zealand. "Facts and figures By Country Of Birth". Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- Pearl of the Islands Foundation, a Turkish cultural foundation in New Zealand