Turkish New Zealanders

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Turks in New Zealand)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Turkish New Zealanders
Total population
957 (2013 census)[1]
plus c. 1,600 Turkish Cypriots[3]
Regions with significant populations
Wellington · Dunedin · Christchurch · Auckland
New Zealand English, Turkish
Sunni Islam, Alevi Islam

Turkish New Zealanders or New Zealand Turks are Turkish people who are New Zealand citizens, residents of New Zealand, or people who are of Turkish descent. Most have come to New Zealand from Turkey and the island of Cyprus. In addition, there are also recent Turkmen arrivals (mostly refugees) from Iraq and Syria.

The Turkish people are one of the most visible immigrant groups from the Middle East. They operate their own businesses specialising in traditional Turkish food, such as kebab, baklava, and Turkish delight.[4]



According to the 2013 census, the Turkish ethnic group accounted for 957 residents, which was a 49.5% increase from the 2006 census.[1] This was a greater percentage increase than the 47.6% increase between the 2001 and 2006 censuses.[1]

Areas of settlement[edit]

The majority of Turkish New Zelanders live in urban areas, mostly in the North Island (80.6%) and the remainder live in the South Island (19.4%).[1]

The Turkish community mostly live in the Auckland Region (mostly in the Waitematā Local Board, the Devonport-Takapuna Local Board, and the Orakei Local Board), followed by the Wellington Region, and the Otago Region.[1]

Notable people[edit]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ a b c d e "2013 Census ethnic group profiles: Turkish". Statistics New Zealand. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
  2. ^ "How many Turks living in New Zealand?". Pearl of the Islands Foundation. Archived from the original on 13 May 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2008.
  3. ^ Türkel, Esra (26 July 2012). "Sözünüzü tutun" [Keep your promise] (in Turkish). starkibris.net. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
  4. ^ Veitch, James; Tinawi, Dalia (8 February 2005). "Other Middle Eastern peoples: The Turks and others". Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 7 January 2018.

External links[edit]