This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner||WarnerMedia News & Sports|
|Key people||Lenny Daniels (President)|
|Major broadcasting contracts|
Turner Sports (TS) is the subsidiary of AT&T's WarnerMedia responsible for sports broadcasts on channels including TBS, TNT, AT&T SportsNet, TruTV, and for operating the digital media outlets NCAA.com, NBA.com, PGATour.com and PGA.com, as well as Bleacher Report, and its streaming service, B/R Live. Turner Sports also operates NBA TV on behalf of the NBA, and owns a minority share in the MLB Network.
In March 2018, Turner Sports announced to launch B/R Live, a subscription video streaming service, featuring live broadcasts of several sports events.
Turner also owned WPCH-TV, the former WTBS, which was the longtime television home for Major League Baseball's Atlanta Braves. This relationship ended after the 2013 season. WPCH-TV was itself sold to Meredith Corporation in 2017.
Following AT&T's acquisition of Time Warner in 2018, it was announced in March 2019 that the Turner Broadcasting System would be dissolved, and its assets dispersed into Warner Bros. and two new units. Turner Sports will be combined with CNN and AT&T SportsNet into a new division known as WarnerMedia News & Sports, led by CNN president Jeff Zucker.
In October 2020, Turner Sports and DraftKings announced a collaboration. This makes DraftKings an exclusive sports provider and daily fantasy provider for selected properties from Bleacher Report and Turner Sports.
- NBA on TNT (1989–present)
- Major League Baseball on TBS (2007–present)
- 13 Sunday afternoon games (2007–present)
- Tuesday night games (starting in 2022) (number of games TBA)
- Alternating AL/NL Wild Card Playoff with ESPN (2007–2019, 2021–present)
- One AL Wild Card Series (other 7 wild card series on ESPN/ABC) (2020)
- Alternating ALDS/NLDS with FS1/MLB Network (2007–present)
- Alternating ALCS/NLCS with FS1/Fox (2007–present)
- Spanish language simulcasts on CNN en Español (2016–present)
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship (2011–present)
- ELeague (Turner Sports/WME-IMG Partnership, since 2016)
- Soccer (2017–2021)
- All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite (2019–present)
- The Match series (2018–present)
Other television properties
- NBA TV (managed on behalf of the NBA)
- TNT Sports (Latin America), operated by Turner International Argentina
Turner Sports Interactive
- Bleacher Report
- In February 2019, Turner announced a deal with casino operator Caesars Entertainment Corporation to open a Bleacher Report studio in the sportsbook at Caesars Palace to produce sports betting programming and gaming-related editorial content. The new studio is expected to begin distributing this content by early summer 2019.
- NASCAR.COM (2001 - 2013)
- NASCAR's comprehensive digital and social media portfolio includes NASCAR.COM, the official online destination of NASCAR which provides racing enthusiasts with an all-inclusive offering of engaging content including fantasy games, video highlights, social elements and in-depth editorial content. NASCAR.COM, and the sport's other digital and social media platforms, have been managed by Turner Sports since 2001.
- PGATOUR.COM (2006 - 2012)
- Turner Sports New Media partnered with the PGA TOUR to produce and sell PGATOUR.com, the official site of the PGA TOUR.
- UEFA (2018–19 until most matches at the round of 16 in 2019–20, originally until 2020–21)
- UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Europa League
- Final on TNT
- All matches on B/R Live for subscribers or pay-per-match.
- Select qualification stage matches on B/R Live
- UEFA Super Cup (2018 and 2019 only)
- UEFA Youth League
- Atlanta Hawks basketball
- Atlanta Flames NHL hockey
- Atlanta Chiefs NASL soccer
- College Basketball on TBS (1982–1986)
- College Football on TBS (1982–2006)
- Goodwill Games (1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2001)
- Braves TBS Baseball (1973–2007)
- Gator Bowl (1993–1994)
- NASCAR on TBS (1983–2000)
- NBA on TBS (1984-2002, 2010-present)
- NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship (2016 & 2017)
- Southeastern Conference sports
- WCW Thunder (1998–2001)
- World Championship Wrestling (1972–2001)
- NFL on TNT (1990–1997)
- Olympics on TNT (1992, 1994, 1998) (co-produced with CBS)
- Tennis on TNT (2000–2002)
- FIFA World Cup (1990)
- Women's United Soccer Association
- NASCAR on TNT (2001–2014) (co-produced with NBC from 2001–2006)
- WCW Monday Nitro (1995–2001)
- Alliance of American Football (2019) (co-produced with CBS/CBS Sports Network/NFL Network)
- Golf on TNT
- PGA Championship (through 2019)
- First and second rounds, early coverage of third and fourth.
- PGA Championship (through 2019)
- Title Night (1998–2000)
- Belgian First Division A
- Polish Cup
- Scottish Professional Football League
- Scottish League Cup
- Scottish Challenge Cup
- Swedish Cup
- Swiss Cup
Notable Turner Sports personalities (past and present)
^D denotes deceased.
- Ian Baker-Finch
- Charles Barkley
- Rick Barry
- Brent Barry
- Allen Bestwick
- Eric Bischoff
- Thom Brennaman
- Bob Brenly
- Hubie Brown
- Craig SagerD
- Wally Szczerbiak
- Casey Stern
- Gene Steratore
- Dennis Scott
- Steve Smith
- Tony Schiavone
- Ralph Sheheen
- Joe Simpson
- Kenny Smith
- John Smoltz
- Gary Sheffield
- Marty Snider
- Gordon Solie
- Dick Stockton
- Don Sutton
Notes and references
- Friedlander, Whitney (July 9, 2014). "Turner Sports Ups Lenny Daniels to President". Variety. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Bercovici, Jeff (August 6, 2012). "Turner Buys Bleacher Report, Next-Gen Sports Site, for $175M-Plus". Forbes. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Spangler, Todd (March 27, 2017). "Turner Sports Unveils 'Bleacher Report Live' Pay-Streaming Service". Variety. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Feiner, Lauren (March 4, 2019). "WarnerMedia reorganizes its leadership team after AT&T acquisition". CNBC.com. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- Winkler, Todd (2020-10-28). "DraftKings Will Start a New Collaboration with Turner Sports on Thursday". Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Turner Sports and Major League Baseball Reach Seven-Year Media Rights Extension Through 2028". WarnerMedia.com (Press release). Warner Media, LLC. September 24, 2020. Retrieved December 14, 2020.
- Ken Fang [@fangsbites] (October 7, 2016). ".@MLB has released the times for the League Division Series for Monday and beyond" (Tweet). Retrieved October 15, 2016 – via Twitter.
- "Turner, WME-IMG Get in the Esports Game With Own League". adage.com.
- Spangler, Todd (September 24, 2015). "Turner, WME/IMG Form E-Sports League, With TBS to Air Live Events". Variety. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Bleacher Report Support – Answer Detail". support.live.bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2018-10-31.
- "CBS Sports, Turner Broadcasting, NCAA Reach 14-Year Agreement". NCAA.com (Press release). Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. April 21, 2010. Archived from the original on November 9, 2013. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Turner wins NCAA digital rights". ESPN.com. ESPN Internet Ventures, LLC. Associated Press. September 21, 2010. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Russ, Hilary (February 7, 2019). "Turner Sports inks deal with Caesars for Bleacher Report betting..." Reuters. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Turner Sports Acquires NASCAR's Internet Rights; NASCAR Online to be Produced by Turner Sports". WarnerMedia. Retrieved 2020-08-18.
- September 12; 2006. "Turner Sports New Media, PGA Tour Ink Multi-Year Web Deal". www.sportsbusinessdaily.com. Retrieved 2020-08-18.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Selbe, Nick. "Report: Turner to Opt Out of UEFA Champions League Deal". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2020-07-10.
- Ourand, John (February 24, 2017). "Turner's Soccer Shocker". SportsBusinessDaily.com. Retrieved February 24, 2017.
- Bupp, Phillip (July 31, 2018). "Turner Sports to broadcast 46 Champions League matches on TNT, offer B/R Live subscription on per match basis". AwfulAnnouncing.com. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- "Turner Sports Reaches Multi-Year Agreement to Present NCAA National Collegiate Beach Volleyball Championship". NCAA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. 26 April 2016. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Turner Sports Reaches Multi-Year Agreement to Present NCAA National Collegiate Beach Volleyball Championship". Turner Sports. 26 April 2016. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Report: Turner secures US streaming rights for SPL". SportsPro. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Where to find soccer leagues and competitions on US TV and streaming".
- "Ernie Johnson bio". www.turner.com. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Catch up with Turner Sports rising star Roslyn Gold-Onwude". TheShadowLeague.com. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Dwyane Wade signs deal to be NBA Analyst for TNT". www.espn.com. Retrieved October 22, 2019.