Turibius of Astorga
Saint Turibius of Astorga (Spanish: Santo Toribio de Astorga; fl. 446, died 460) was an archdeacon of Tui and an early Bishop of Astorga. Turibius was a zealous maintainer of ecclesiastical discipline, and defender of the Nicene Christianity against the Galician heresy of Priscillianism, for which he received a supportive letter from Leo the Great, which still survives.
Turibius held a local synod in 446. After his death at Astorga in 460 he was revered as a saint. According to tradition, his relics, along with a piece of the lignum crucis, were transferred to the Monastery of Liébana around the middle of the eighth century. His feast day is April 16 in the Roman Catholic Church. He is usually portrayed with a mitre and is not to be confused with Turibius of Liébana.
- Alonso del Val, José Maria (2000). "Santo Toribio, Obispo" (in Spanish). El Diario Montanes. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- Pope Leo I (1881). "Epistula 15: Ad Turibium Asturiensem episcopum de priscillianistarum erronibus". In J.-P. Migne. Patrologiae cursus completus. Series Latina (in Latin). 54. Garnier Frères. pp. 693–695.
- Kirsch, J.P. (1913). "Pope St. Leo I (the Great)". In Herbermann, Charles. Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.
- "Official website of the monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Butler, Alban (1861). "St. Turibius, Bishop of Astorga". In John Murphy. The lives of the fathers, martyrs, and other principal saints. IV. ISBN 0-559-17704-6.
- Fleury, Claude (1844). John Henry Newman, ed. The Ecclesiastical History of M. L'abbé Fleury: From A.D. 429 to A.D. 456. Oxford: J.H. Parker.
- Walsh, John (1992). Relic and Literature: St Toribius of Astorga and his arca sancta. St Albans: David Hook. ISBN 978-0-9517564-1-6.
- González García, Miguel Ángel (1993). "Iconografía De Santo Toribio De Astorga. Geografía Y Fuentes". Cuadernos De Arte e Iconografia. 4 (11).
- Catholic Online: Turibius of Astorga
- Año Jubilar Lebaniego: Santo Toribio, Obispo
- Santo Toribio de Astorga, aproximación a una biografía
|This article about a Spanish Catholic bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Spanish saint is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|