Turtle Lake Township, Beltrami County, Minnesota
|Turtle Lake Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Land||28.8 sq mi (74.5 km2)|
|• Water||7.4 sq mi (19.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,345 ft (410 m)|
|• Density||41/sq mi (16.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665819|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.2 square miles (93.7 km2), of which 28.8 square miles (74.5 km2) is land and 7.4 square miles (19.1 km2), or 20.45%, is water.
- Werner at
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Bailey Lake
- Lake Beltrami (west three-quarters)
- Black Lake
- Campbell Lake (east edge)
- Crane Lake (south three-quarters)
- Fox Lake
- Horseman Lake
- Larson Lake
- Lingren Lake
- Little Turtle Lake
- Lake Julia (south half)
- Movil Lake (north three-quarters)
- Range Line Lake (vast majority)
- Rice Lake
- Silver Lake
- Three Island Lake (west half)
- Turtle Lake
- Durand Township (north)
- Hagali Township (northeast)
- Port Hope Township (east)
- Turtle River Township (southeast)
- Northern Township (south)
- Eckles Township (southwest)
- Liberty Township (west)
The township contains Turtle Lake Cemetery.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,122 people, 429 households, and 343 families residing in the township. The population density was 39.1 people per square mile (15.1/km²). There were 570 housing units at an average density of 19.9/sq mi (7.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 95.10% White, 0.18% African American, 2.05% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 0.09% from other races, and 1.78% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.27% of the population.
There were 429 households out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.8% were married couples living together, 3.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.0% were non-families. 16.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 4.4% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 31.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 104.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 108.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $52,857, and the median income for a family was $59,500. Males had a median income of $36,964 versus $26,731 for females. The per capita income for the township was $23,770. About 3.1% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.0% of those under age 18 and 10.7% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Turtle Lake township, Beltrami County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 40.