|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headteacher||Ms S Gorse|
|Location||Bromley Cross Road
|DfE URN||105253 Tables|
History and information
The school is housed in original 1954 buildings which have since been extensively modified and extended, and is over-subscribed, with two applications per place. Facilities include a community swimming pool and sports hall. The school enjoys sporting success in hockey, netball, soccer, rugby, basketball, tennis, cricket, rounders, badminton, table tennis, volleyball and softball, and also offers dance, gymnastics, swimming, aerobics.[not in citation given]
There are junior and senior choirs, a training orchestra and senior orchestra, wind band, flute choir, brass band, string quartet and wind quartet. Other extra-curricular activities range from chess, technology and computers to drama and writing groups that produce a school magazine and newsletter. Turton High also offers an industrial awareness conference, Young Enterprise, sixth-form debating and a variety of charity events.
Re-organised as a comprehensive in 1971, the school is situated in the northern extremity of Bolton in a suburban commuter area.
In addition to the expected Common Room, ICT facilities and Study Area, the Sixth Form has an all-day Snack Bar, Conference Area, Television Studio, Music facilities and Media Suite.
Students join the Sixth Form from all the schools in the local area and beyond due to the ease of access. Over half of these have not previously attended the main school and it is therefore very much a new start for all those who join.
Awards and achievements
- Awarded Healthy School status in March 2007
- The latest Ofsted report states:
"Standards are well above average and rising, as a result of good teaching and teachers' effective use of data to set targets"
- Teachernet school achievement award winner
- FA charter standard school
- Headteacher: Ms S. Gorse
- Deputy Headteachers: Mrs C. Bach. Mrs U M Hodgson
- Director of Sixth Form: Mr P. Tiltman
- Assistant Headteacher: Kelly Leonard Ms C Baily
- Justin Chadwick, Producer The Other Boleyn Girl and Long Walk to Freedom
- Phillip Cheadle, Actor
- John Cunliffe, Footballer in Usa
- Tanith Davenport, Novelist
- David Flitcroft, Footballer ex Manager of Bury
- Garry Flitcroft, Footballer Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City
- Paul Heathcote, Chef
- Chris Hunt, Badminton Gold medalist European and Commonwealth
- Andy Kellett, footballer Bolton, Plymouth now Wigan
- Jason Kenny, Olympic Cyclist (Gold Medallist)
- Tom Lancashire, Middle distance athlete 2008 Olympian
- David Andrew Phoenix, Biochemist and Educationalist
- Craig Pilling, Wrestling Commonwealth Games 2014 Bronze Medallist
- George Ramm, Wrestling English and British champion
- Paul Sixsmith, International Footballer for Malta
- James Slark, aka James Carlton, Actor, Emmerdale and Heartbeat
- Stuart Stokes, Athlete, 2012 Olympian 3000m Steeplechase
- Simon Whaley, Footballer Bury PNE etc.
- Sophie Willian, Comedian
- Sammy Winward, Actress, Emmerdale