Tuscarawas Township, Stark County, Ohio
|Tuscarawas Township, Stark County, Ohio|
Location of Tuscarawas Township in Stark County
|• Total||30.3 sq mi (78.4 km2)|
|• Land||30.2 sq mi (78.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,070 ft (326 m)|
|• Density||201.4/sq mi (77.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086991|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Lawrence Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast corner
- Perry Township - east
- Bethlehem Township - southeast corner
- Sugar Creek Township - south
- Sugar Creek Township, Wayne County - west
- Baughman Township, Wayne County - northwest
Part of the city of Massillon is located in eastern Tuscarawas Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Tuscarawas Township is located in Coshocton County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Stark County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 448. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.