|Elevation AMSL||39 m / 129 ft|
|Statistics (April 2017 - March 2018)|
Tuticorin Airport (IATA: TCR, ICAO: VOTK) is a domestic airport located 16.9 km (10.5 mi) from Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu, India serving the districts of Tuticorin and Tirunelveli in southern Tamil Nadu. It is located 15.6 km west from the city centre on Tuticorin-Tirunelveli NH 7A.It is the fifth busiest airport in Tamil Nadu after Chennai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli and Madurai.
Tuticorin Airport has one asphalt runway, oriented 10/28, 1351 metres long and 30 metres wide. Its 100 by 60 metre apron provides parking space for 2 ATR 72 or similar aircraft at a time, while its terminal building can handle 72 passengers during peak hours. Navigational aids at Tuticorin include PAPI lights and an Aerodrome beacon
A master plan for upgrading the Tuticorin airport in phases had been prepared by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Tamil Nadu government was asked to provide 586 acres of land free and without encumbrances to the Airports Authority of India. The Land Acquisition process is nearing Completion. Recently Night Landing facilities have been provided at the airport, facilitating operation of Late Evening and Night flights. An additional 110 acres of land has been set aside for the Indian Air Force and the Indian Coastguard. On 21 July 2017, land measuring to the extent of 366.24 acres from as many as seven blocks had been acquired and on completion of the process, it was handed over to the Thoothukudi Airport Director Subramanian. The acquisition of remaining land was under way in different stages and the district administration would soon hand them over to the Airport Authority of India, said DRO M. Veerappan. The land acquisition is completed and the expansion work is expected to start soon as per the approved scope of work which includes a 3115m*45m runway with full length parallel taxiway , 10,800 sq.m New Terminal building, New ATC tower ...etc also the 1050 sq.m present terminal is to be expanded to 2150 sq.m
Airlines and destinations
|SpiceJet||Chennai, Bengaluru (ends Oct 27, 2018)|
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-IV" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. 1 May 2018. p. 3. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Demand to modernise Tuticorin airport". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 24 May 2013.
- "Airport website". Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- Our Correspondent (2013-12-13). "Night landing at Tuticorin | Business Line". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- Mehdudia, Sujay (17 March 2010). "Chennai airport expansion on schedule". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "Tuticorin airport to be expanded". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 12 Jan 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- "Airport expansion: Collector hands over 366 acres of land". The Hindu. 2017-07-21. Retrieved 2018-01-03.