|Initial release||iPhone: April 14, 2011
iPad: February 8, 2012
Mac: October 18, 2012
iPhone: 4.1 / November 3, 2015
iPad: 4.1 / November 3, 2015
OS X: 2.3.1 December 19, 2015
|Operating system||iOS, macOS|
Tweetbot is a third party client application for the social networking site Twitter meant for use on Apple Inc.'s iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Mac platforms. The application is available in three versions, one optimized for use with iPhone and iPod Touch, one for the Mac, with another version meant for use exclusively for iPad.
Tweetbot was initially released on April 14, 2011 by Tapbots on the App Store. It was only available for the iPhone at that time. Features have been added to the program over time, including multiple account switching, in-timeline viewing of images and YouTube video thumbnails, push notifications, and the ability to mute certain users and topics in the timeline view temporarily. Customization of two tabs is also available in the application, and updates after the release of iOS 5 have added other features such as left and right swiping of a Twitter message to follow individual conversation threads.
Inherent in Tapbots' design philosophy, the app's slogan is "A Twitter client with personality", which is meant to emulate a friendly robot, as the company's other programs do. The program also has universal syncing through iCloud, allowing for bookmarking between the iPhone, iPad and Mac clients.
On June 11, 2012 Tapbots announced the launch of an alpha version of Tweetbot for Mac. Since October 18, 2012 the final version is available in the Mac App Store, which includes all features of the iOS version.
On February 4, 2013 Tapbots released version 2.7 of Tweetbot. Added features include support for inline viewing of Vine video clips as well as options to set a default browser for external links. Shortly after, version 2.7.1 was released to fix a bug in the 2.7 update that caused the application to crash at launch for many users.
On October 17, 2013 Tapbots submitted version 3.0 of Tweetbot to the App Store team for review. Version 3.0 is an update to match the new design of iOS 7.
On July 1, 2014 Tapbots updated Tweetbot to version 1.6 for Mac, introducing multiple image upload feature and fixed other minor bugs.
On October 1, 2015, Tapbots released version 4.0 of Tweetbot. Added features include iPad support, landscape support for iPhone and iPad, new statistics and activity view, new column view in landscape on iPad and iPhone 6 Plus, split view multi-tasking on iPad, quick reply from notifications, safari view controller with content blocker support, and a new user interface. Tweetbot 4 also improved its mute filter settings, status details, user profiles, and optimizations to the app itself. It is the first applications that requires iOS 9 on the device. It can not be downloaded with earlier version of the mobile operating system, as the program supports only the English localization.
On Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015, the Tweetbots 4.1 version was released by Tapbots.  For the first time, the app supports Apple Watch and displays alerts for new favorite, new follows, and mentions. Just click on the alert for a detailed view and right from the Apple Watch you can follow back, retweet or favorite based on the kind of alert it is. Once you are in the detailed view, a quick tap on the avatar displays user’s profile. You can see their bio, locations, profile picture and also an option to DM, follow or unfollow and reply them. 
PC Magazine praised it for design and customization, but criticized the lack of support for multiple Twitter accounts, an issue that was addressed in later versions. Mac Stories called it "excellent", the reviewer's favorite Twitter client. The Daily Telegraph gave it 4/5 stars. Macworld praised its "impressive" feature set and design.
- "Tweetbot a Twitter Client with Personality". tapbots.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- "iCloud Sync". tapbots.com. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2013-02-16.
- "Tweetbot for Mac". tapbots.com. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Panzario, Matthew (3 October 2012). "Tweetbot creator launches Netbot, a mature and polished App.net client for iPhone and iPad". TheNextWeb. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Veticci, Federico (12 March 2012). "Tweetbot 2.6.1 Tweaks UI". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Sande, Steven (4 February 2013). "Tweetbot 2.7 for iPhone adds Vine, Flickr previews". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Tweetbot for Twitter (iPhone & iPod touch)". iTunes Preview. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Jardine, Mark (17 October 2013). "Tapbots and the State of our Apps in iOS 7". Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- "TweetBot Updated to V1.6 for Mac". 1 July 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Williams, Owen (4 June 2015). "Tweetbot 2 for Mac is my new favorite Twitter client". The Next Web. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Say hello to Tweetbot 4". 1 October 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Tweetbot 4.1 with Apple Watch support is out". 3 November 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Tweetbot 4.1 for iOS brings in Apple Watch Support". Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Tweetbot (for iPad)", PC Magazine, February 15, 2012
- Federico Viticci, "Tweetbot for iPhone Review", Mac Stories
- Shane Richmond, "Tweetbot for iPad review", The Daily Telegraph (UK), 15 Mar 2012
- Lex Friedman, "Tweetbot — A Twitter Client with Personality for iPad Review", Macworld