Normal tuning is eeE-aaA-ddD-ggG, with one string of each course tuned similarly to the corresponding string of the four-string bass, and the remaining two strings tuned to the octave.
- The first known 12 string bass guitar, the "Hamer Quad," was designed by Jol Dantzig and built in 1978 for Tom Petersson by Hamer Guitars.
- Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick
- Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam. His 12-string bass playing can be heard in the intro to their hit song "Jeremy".
- Doug Pinnick of King's X
- Chip Z'nuff of Enuff Z'nuff
- Joey DeMaio of Manowar
- Clint Bahr of TriPod the band
Other bass guitars with twelve strings
Although the model most commonly known as "the 12-string bass" is as described above, several other bass guitars with a total of twelve strings have been built to rarer or unique specifications.
Basses have been built with twelve single-string courses, and various tunings. These are not normally played as a conventional bass guitar, but rather both hands are used on the fretboard.
|This article relating to string instruments is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|