Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman"
Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman", K. 265/300e, is a piano composition by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, composed when he was around 25 years old (1781 or 1782). This piece consists of twelve variations on the French folk song "Ah! vous dirai-je, maman". The French melody first appeared in 1761, and has been used for many children's songs, such as "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star", "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep", and the "Alphabet Song".
This work was composed for solo piano and consists of 13 sections: the first section is the theme, the other sections are Variations I to XII. Only Variations XI and XII have tempo indications, Adagio and Allegro respectively.
For a time, it was thought that these variations were composed in 1778, while Mozart stayed in Paris from April to September in that year, the assumption being that the melody of a French song could only have been picked up by Mozart while residing in France. For this presumed composition date, the composition was renumbered from K. 265 to K. 300e in the chronological catalogue of Mozart's compositions. Later analysis of Mozart's manuscript of the composition by Wolfgang Plath rather indicated 1781/1782 as the probable composition date.
The variations were first published in Vienna in 1785.
- Hinson, Maurice (2001). The Pianist's Guide to Transcriptions, Arrangements, and Paraphrases. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. p. 131. ISBN 978-0253214560. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Variationen für Klavier, Kritischer Bericht (Kurt von Fischer, 1962), vol. IX/26, pp. 54–73], Neue Mozart-Ausgabe (in German)
- Based on booklet notes by Robin Golding, 1991 for Daniel Barenboim's Mozart: The Complete Piano Sonatas and Variations, EMI Classics 8 CD box No. 5 73915 2
- Media related to Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" (Mozart) at Wikimedia Commons
- Zwölf Variationen in C über das französische Lied "Ah, vous dirai-je Maman", KV 265 (300e): Score and critical report (in German) in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman": Scores at the International Music Score Library Project