|Directed by||Sergio Castellitto|
|Produced by||Sergio Castellitto|
|Screenplay by||Sergio Castellitto|
|Story by||Margaret Mazzantini|
|Distributed by||Entertainment One|
Oft-married Gemma visits Sarajevo with her only child, Pietro. The two of them had escaped the city sixteen years ago, just days after his birth during the Bosnian War. Diego, her second husband and Pietro's father, remained behind and later died. As they travel with her wartime friend Gojko, she tries to repair her relationship with Pietro, asking her third husband (by phone) if she should tell Pietro that she did not give birth to him. Gemma is later stunned by the revelation that Pietro's real mother, Aska, is still alive and married to Gojko. Aska reveals that, contrary to Gemma's long held belief, Diego was not Pietro's father, as she had been a sex slave to a garrison of the Serb Volunteer Guard. Gemma must face loss, the cost of war and the redemptive power of love.
- Penélope Cruz as Gemma
- Emile Hirsch as Diego
- Adnan Haskovic as Gojko
- Saadet Aksoy as Aska
- Pietro Castellitto as Pietro
- Luca De Filippo as Armando
- Sergio Castellitto as Giuliano
- Vinicio Marchioni as Fabio
- Mira Furlan as Velida
- Jane Birkin as Psychologist
- Branko Djuric as Doctor
- Isabelle Adriani as Giornalista
About the film, The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "Dripping with floridly phony dialogue that no actor should be forced to speak, this paternity mystery uses the Bosnian conflict as the manipulative backdrop to a preposterously overwrought and overlong melodrama." Variety added that the film had "little to offer beyond some pitiful twists." Screen International went on to write, "director Sergio Castellitto’s adaptation of Margaret Mazzantini’s novel leaves no cliché unturned, yearning for big emotions that are consistently flattened by the lumbering storytelling."
- Lussier, Germain (5 September 2012). "'Twice Born' Trailer: Penelope Cruz and Emile Hirsch Star In A Tale Of Motherhood And War". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Weintraub, Steve (17 September 2012). "Sergio Castellitto TWICE BORN Interview". collider.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Knegt, Peter (5 September 2012). "TIFF List 2012: A Complete List of All Films at the Toronto International Film Festival". indiewire.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Twice Born". Rotten Tomatoes.
- Rooney, David (18 September 2012). "Twice Born: Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- van Hoeij, Boyd (23 September 2012). "Review: 'Twice Born'". Variety. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Grierson, Tim (9 September 2012). "Twice Born". Screen International. Retrieved 23 September 2012.