Twice Upon a Time: The Singles
|Twice Upon a Time: The Singles|
|Greatest hits album by Siouxsie and the Banshees|
|Released||5 October 1992|
|Producer||Siouxsie & the Banshees, Stephen Hague, Mike Hedges|
|Siouxsie and the Banshees
Twice Upon a Time: The Singles is the second singles compilation released by Siouxsie and the Banshees. It follows the same format as Once Upon a Time: The Singles, presenting the songs in chronological order. Twice picks up where Once left off (in 1982), and it includes several hits not included on regular Banshees studio albums. Instead of the studio version released as a single, "The Last Beat of My Heart" is presented as a live recording, from their performance at Lollapalooza in Seattle. Also appearing on CD for the first time here is "Face to Face," a song from the soundtrack of the film Batman Returns. "Fear of the Unknown" also appears as a remix that is significantly different from the original single. The collection is missing the 1987 single "Song from the Edge of the World", which was included on a later hits collection.
J. D. Considine of The Baltimore Sun wrote that the album "follows a more twisted path" than Once Upon a Time, chronicling "the band from cult-level acclaim to something resembling pop accessibility." Considine added that "the most amazing thing about this progression is how little the group alters its approach along the way."
A review of the album in The Advocate notes that the compilation demonstrates that the band that had made "consistently compelling music", and highlights "the group's knack for creating smart arrangements of non-Banshees music" such as on "Dear Prudence", "This Wheel's on Fire", and "The Passenger".
All tracks by Siouxsie and the Banshees, unless noted otherwise.
- "Dear Prudence" (Lennon–McCartney)
- "Swimming Horses"
- "Overground" (Re-recorded version from The Thorn EP)
- "Cities in Dust"
- "This Wheel's on Fire" (Bob Dylan/Rick Danko)
- "The Passenger" (Osterberg/Gardiner)
- "Peek-a-Boo" (Warren/Mercer/Siouxsie and the Banshees)
- "The Killing Jar" (Single version)
- "The Last Beat of My Heart" (live at Lollapalooza, Seattle on 'The Plant' Mobile 28 August 1991)
- "Kiss Them for Me"
- "Fear (of the Unknown)" (Remix)
- "Face to Face" (Siouxsie and the Banshees/Danny Elfman)
|UK Albums Chart||26|
- Allmusic review
- Morrison, Dave. Twice Upon a Time -review. Select, November 1992
- Considine, J. D. (25 December 1992). "Greatest hits'? Not all that often". The Baltimore Sun. p. Features - 6.
- "Banshees' 'Twice' is one of the better hits collections". The Advocate. 8 January 1993. Retrieved 17 March 2013. (subscription required (. ))
- "Chart Stats - Siouxsie and the Banshees - 'Twice Upon a Time'". Chart Archive. Retrieved 17 March 2013.