||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (May 2014)|
Twin Shadow photographed by Milan Zrnic in 2013
|Birth name||George Lewis Jr.|
|Also known as||Twin Shadow|
|Born||1983 (age 31–32)
|Origin||Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York|
George Lewis Jr. (born 1983), better known by his stage name Twin Shadow, is a Dominican-American singer, producer and writer, based out of Brooklyn, New York. He has written a novel and released three albums: Forget (2010), Confess (2012) and Eclipse (2015). Lewis' song "To The Top' appears in the trailer, soundtrack and end scene / credits of the film Paper Towns.
Lewis was born in 1983 in the Dominican Republic and raised in Florida. Lewis's first exposure to music started by singing in his church choir. While growing up, Lewis listened to punk music, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Boyz II Men, Keith Sweat, and Bobby Brown. Around 2000, he moved to Boston and started the band Mad Man Films alongside Joseph Ciampini (drums) (of Hooray For Earth), and Zak Longo (bass) of Before Lazers. Mad Man Films released two records independently. In 2006, not satisfied with recording music for theatre and films, Lewis moved to Brooklyn, NY and started the Twin Shadow project. Twin Shadow was the Rolling Stone Band of the Week on October 7, 2010.
On April 17 2015, Twin Shadow and his band and crew were involved in a tour bus crash. Both driver John Crawford and Twin Shadow drummer Andy Bauer remain hospitalized, in serious condition. George Lewis Jr. will be undergoing reconstructive hand surgery.
Forget has also been described as "steeped in 1980s new wave", "building from streaks of haunting synth textures", having "sophisticated melodies", "R&B intimacy", and "poetic lyrics", and "hazily new wave-tinged pop".
In 2012, the follow-up album, Confess, produced by Lewis himself, was released. Lewis gained inspiration for the album after being involved in a motorcycle accident in Boston. Two of the album's songs, "Five Seconds" and "Patient", were transformed into a music video saga which drew inspiration from Lewis's novel Night of the Silver Sun. The A.V. Club described the album as "filled with Morrissey-esque yelps and Human League-worthy choruses, [...] Twin Shadow manages to digest his influences rather than simply replicate them. Confess retains the humid fog that saturated Forget, but the instrumentation is brighter, louder, and sharper. Synthesizers punch through the atmosphere, and Lewis' exquisite croon floats above it all."
After criticising his own work for being too elitist, Lewis set out to create a more approachable album; his first with a major record label, Warner Music. Carl Wilson of Billboard Magazine notes that Twin Shadow has left behind much of his "foggy layers of synths and drum machines" reminiscent of the likes of Depeche Mode and Simple Minds in favor of a more contemporary sound. Eclipse is also noted for Lewis' almost complete departure from guitar playing, a conscious decision according to a Pitchfork interview in January, 2015. In March 2015, NPR exclusively streamed the album and Twin Shadow was live in session at KCRW on their “Morning Becomes Eclectic” segment. In April 2015, Eclipse was made WFUV AAA radio album of the month, Lewis was featured in Interview Magazine as part of their Pop Craft feature and he was featured on the cover of Culture Collide’s “Travel With Purpose” magazine. Eclipse also marks the first album of Twin Shadow’s to include creative direction by Milan Zrnic. Zrnic photographed all of the imagery associated with the album and consulted on all video content, tour staging, merchandise, and styling. 
Twin Shadow played Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in April 2011, Sasquatch Music Festival in May 2011 and May 2013, San Miguel Primavera Sound in May 2011 and both Pitchfork Music Festival and Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in June 2011. He supported Florence and the Machine at certain performances during their 2011 U.S. Tour. He started touring across North America and the international festival circuit with his “Eclipse Tour” in 2014 and continued the tour in 2015 until he and his band and crew were involved in a tour bus crash. Both driver John Crawford and Twin Shadow drummer Andy Bauer remain hospitalized, in serious condition. George Lewis Jr. will be undergoing reconstructive hand surgery.
- On the limited edition version of Twin Shadow's Forget, there's a collaboration with Hooray for Earth called "A Place We Like".
- Twin Shadow remixed Lady Gaga's "Born This Way".
- A Twin Shadow remix of Neon Indian's "Psychic Chasms" appears on that band's Mind Ctrl: Psychic Chasms Possessed.
- A Twin Shadow remix of Neon Indian's "Hex Girlfriend" appears on that band's ERRATA ANEX EP.
- The iTunes Store edition of Haim's Days Are Gone includes the bonus track "Edge", a song co-written by Lewis.
- Flume released a mixtape as part of the deluxe edition of his self-titled album. Twin Shadow was featured on the track "Sleepless".
- Twin Shadow sings lead on “Lost You”, an anthemic track from the Canadian festival-dance producers Zeds Dead
- Twin Shadow and D’Angelo Lacy collaborated with Wrestlers for single “Say Anything” which was released on Record Store Day (April 19, 2014) on a Red Bull Sound Select limited edition split 7″.
- Twin Shadow was featured on Big Data's track "Perfect Holiday" from their debut album 2.0.
- Urban Outfitters launched a Twin Shadow tee in March 2015
- Twin Shadow collaborates with Levi’s as part of their “Live in Levi’s project”
- Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osbourne, the designers of the CFDA-award-winning line “Public School", have been using Twin Shadow’s music for their runway shows since 2010 and in February 2015, Twin Shadow composed the music for their Fall 2015 show taking place during New York Fashion Week
Lewis has written a novel called The Night of the Silver Sun.
Singles and EPs
- "I'm Ready"
- "Five Seconds"
- "The One" (Live on KCRW)
- "Old Love/New Love"
- "To the Top" (released April 15, 2014)
- "Turn Me Up"
- Goldfrapp – Thea (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Surfer Blood - Floating Vibes (Twin Shadow Remix)
- N.E.R.D. Feat Daft Punk - Hypnotize Remix (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Gypsy & The Cat - Jona Vark Remix (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Bear In Heaven - Lovesick Teenagers (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Oh Land - White Nights (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Lady Gaga - Born This Way (Twin Shadow Remix)
- MS MR - Hurricane (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Hex Girlfriend (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Wim - See You Hurry (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Hooray For Earth - "Surrounded By Your Friends (Twin Shadow Remix)
- Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing (Twin Shadow Remix)
- SKATERS - Deadbolt (Twin Shadow Remix)
In 2013, Twin Shadow launched the UNDER THE CVRS series in which he covers requested songs from various artists.
- "I'm Not in Love" (10cc cover) August 2013
- "I'm on Fire" (Bruce Springsteen cover) September 2013
- "Silent All These Years" (Tori Amos cover) September 2013
- "Perfect Day" (Lou Reed cover) October 2013
- "With or Without You" (U2 cover)
- "Cupid" (112 cover)
- "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" (cover of The Smiths song)
- Episode #1.435 (2011) (writer: "Castles in the Snow" / performer: "Castles in the Snow")
- As himself – musical guest
- Episode #578 (Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014) (song performed: "To The Top")
- As himself – musical guest
- Season 22 Episode #27 (Tuesday, February 17, 2015) (song performed:"Turn Me Up")
- As himself – musical guest
- Season 2 Episode #59 (Wednesday, May 6, 2015) (song performed: "I'm Ready")
As himself - musical guest
- Colville, Liz (October 4, 2010). "Twin Shadow: Forget". pitchfork.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- "Concert Photos: Twin Shadow’s ‘Confess’ Tour Stops at San Francisco’s American Music Hall For Double Bill". Indierockcafe.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Twin Shadow: Forget (Terrible) | Under the Radar - Music Magazine". Undertheradarmag.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- Bermingham, Finbarr. "Twin Shadow: Born in the 80s". The Skinny. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- [dead link]
- Greene, Andy (2010-10-07). "Band of the Week: Twin Shadow". Rolling Stone.
- Reilly, Dan (2013-09-13). "Twin Shadow Gets Drilled on 'GTA 5' Song 'Old Love/New Love'". Spin Magazine.
- Strecker, Erin (19 March 2015). "Twin Shadow, Mikky Ekko Soundtrack 'Paper Towns' Trailer". Billboard. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- Drever, Ryan (November 18, 2010). "Twin Shadow - Forget". drownedinsound.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Berg, Jeffery (November 22, 2010). "Twin Shadow – The New New New Wave". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Wright, Lisa (November 12, 2010). "Twin Shadow - Forget". nme.com. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (July 5, 2012). "Twin Shadow – Interview". Retrieved July 9, 2012.
- Minsker, Evan (July 10, 2012). "Video: Twin Shadow: "Patient"". pitchfork.com. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Eby, Margaret (2012-07-10). "Review: Twin Shadow: Confess · Music Review". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- Wilson, Carl. "Album Review: Twin Shadow Clears the Electronic Fog on Major-Label Debut ‘Eclipse’". Billboard. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Leas, Ryan. "Q&A: Twin Shadow On Eclipse, Signing To Warner Bros., & Indie Vs. Pop". Stereogum. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
I know that that can appeal to what people call an 'indie audience.' Or right now, making something that’s minimal and R&B would be appealing to an indie audience. I understand those games very well. But I try not to make music in the shadow of that knowledge, you know? My ambition is to get as many people to hear my music as possible. If that makes me 'pop,' then that makes me pop.
- Cohen, Ian. "Twin Shadow". Pitchfork. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Beauchemin, Michelle. "Twin Shadow announces new album". Pitchfork.
- Gruger, William. "Twin Shadow & Tumblr". Billboard.
- ""A Place We Like" | Forkcast Archive". Pitchfork.com. 2010-10-28. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Listen: Twin Shadow Remixes Lady Gaga". Pitchfork.com. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Listen: Twin Shadow Remixes Neon Indian". Pitchfork.com. 2012-03-05. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Listen: Haim: "Edge" (Co-Written With Twin Shadow)". Pitchfork.com. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Flume Details Mixtape Featuring Ghostface, Killer Mike, Twin Shadow, How to Dress Well, Autre Ne Veut". Pitchfork.com. 2013-10-15. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- Breihan, Tom. "Zeds Dead & Twin Shadow – “Lost You”". Stereogum.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Premiere: Wrestlers x D'Angelo Lacy x Twin Shadow - "Say Anything" | Pigeons & Planes". Pigeonsandplanes.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Rivers Cuomo Teams With Big Data for "Snowed In": Big Data's album 2.0 features Twin Shadow, Jamie Lidell, Kimbra, Wye Oak's Jenn Wasner". Pitchfork.com. 2015-02-09. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- "Read an Excerpt From Twin Shadow's Novel". Pitchfork.com. 2012-08-02. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Listen to Twin Shadow's New Single". Pitchfork.com. 2011-09-15. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "The One (Live on KCRW) by Twin Shadow". 4AD.com. 2012-12-10. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Twin Shadow: "Old Love/New Love"". Pitchfork.com. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Watch: Twin Shadow Covers 10cc's "I'm Not In Love"". Pitchfork.com. 2013-08-16. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Watch: Twin Shadow Covers Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire"". Pitchfork.com. 2013-09-05. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Watch: Twin Shadow Covers Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years"". Pitchfork.com. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Watch Twin Shadow Cover Lou Reed's "Perfect Day"". Pitchfork.com. 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Twin Shadow". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Tonight we meet the man the myth the legend #coco | Twin Shadow". Thetwinshadow.tumblr.com. 2014-06-03. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Tryin on my late night legs | Twin Shadow". Thetwinshadow.tumblr.com. 2014-06-03. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Conan Show Guests Schedule: June 2 - 5, 2014". Teamcoco.com. 2014-06-02. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Twin Shadow". Teamcoco.com. 1969-12-31. Retrieved 2015-03-18.
- "Late Show with David Letterman : Season 22, Episode 96 : Dakota Johnson/David Tochinskiy/Twin Shadow". IMDb.com. 17 February 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-18.