Twisted Logic Tour
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Tour by Coldplay|
|Start date||29 April 2005|
|End date||4 March 2007|
|No. of shows||136|
|Coldplay concert chronology|
The Twisted Logic Tour was a global concert tour by British alternative rock band Coldplay in support of their third studio album, X&Y (2005). The year-long tour took the band across Europe and their native United Kingdom, as well as to the United States and Canada. The main legs of the tour concluded in July 2006 after shows in Asia & Australia, with the band resting for a lengthly period of time, and beginning production of their fourth studio album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends in November. In the beginning of 2007, a final leg in Latin America concluded the tour entirely in March, after about a dozen shows. Pollstar reported that the 2005 North American leg grossed an estimated $24.1 million. The second leg of the North American tour ended 6 April 2006 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.
This is Coldplay's first (and their only to date) tour not named after the album it was promoting; the tour is named after a song on X&Y that has never been played live at any of the concerts.
The Twisted Logic Tour is noted for its use of extravagant stage effects. Strobe lights and other fixtures were used to create an elaborate light show. The back of the stage contained a two-story panoramic video panel that displayed live footage and computer-generated images, from video of a bear wandering aimlessly during "Talk" to a montage of coloured blocks from the cover of X&Y during the song "Clocks".
Other concert highlights include:
- A digital countdown display shown on the panoramic video screen during the song "Square One" as the band enter the stage. The timer reaches zero at the song's explosive first chorus, followed by the crowd getting showered by red, green, and blue strobe lighting.
- Confetti, and yellow balloons filled with gold glitter showered on the audience during the song "Yellow" (a homage to The Flaming Lips).
- During Coachella 2005 Martin sang the outro to "The Scientist" backwards, reminiscent of the song's music video. During much of the tour, the entire track was played backwards live, after the band had finished playing it regularly. The Charles and Ray Eames video "Powers of Ten" played in the background.
- Martin running into the crowd during "In My Place" to sing with the audience.
- Band members taking photographs before and during the show with disposable cameras before throwing them into the crowd. This was bassist Guy Berryman's idea, and was usually done during the reverse playing of "The Scientist".
- The band taking to the edge of the stage and performing an acoustic set of 2-3 of the following songs: "Til Kingdom Come", "Don't Panic", "Green Eyes" and/or a cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" or Bob Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate".
- Martin sometimes encouraging the audience to let their camera flashes off simultaneously as the band picks up during the bridge of "Talk", but also done during "Low" via a message on the main screen behind the band, resulting in a dramatic explosion of light. "Talk" also featured Martin taking an audience member's mobile phone and singing to the person on the other end, which was a common occurrence.
- Martin swinging a suspended lightbulb above his head after the second chorus of "Fix You", followed, in outdoor shows, by fireworks as the drum fill begins.
- A laser light show during "Clocks", with red lasers shooting out in different directions. These were reintroduced during the second North American leg of the tour.
- A handwritten list of songs being projected toward the stage during "Swallowed in the Sea". This is presumably an early tracklist of songs during production of X&Y.
- The band gradually increasing the tempo of "Clocks" at the end of it's regular performance, until it abruptly concludes at a ridiculously high tempo.
- During the Australian leg of the tour, the band made several references to the Socceroos in the 2006 FIFA World Cup by altering lyrics of the songs. On the second night of the Melbourne concerts and the final night of the Sydney concerts, the group performed the Kylie Minogue hit "Can't Get You Out of My Head" as a tribute to Australia and its music industry.
- At some concerts in Germany, Chris Martin asked the audience in German "Wo geht es zum Bahnhof?" ("How do you get to the train station?"). This may be a reference to the U2 song "Zoo Station".
- During performances of "White Shadows", thermal black and white imagery of the band performing appeared on the panoramic big screen. This was obviously done in homage of the song title, as these kind of images can produce "white shadows" of heat producing sources.
The Twisted Logic Tour's set list was heavily weighted towards tracks from X&Y, which was as expected because of the tour being in support and promotion of the album. The remaining material was mostly from A Rush of Blood to the Head with songs such as "Politik", In My Place "Clocks", and "The Scientist", and to a lesser extent "Don't Panic", "Yellow", and "Trouble" being the only holdovers from Parachutes played with regularity. The only new song played on the tour was "How You See the World No. 2" which was from the "Help: A Day in the Life" benefit album. Earlier tours such as those in the Parachutes era debuted work-in-progress versions of tracks that would appear on A Rush of Blood to the Head. Likewise, Coldplay's newest compositions during the A Rush of Blood to the Head Tour such as 'Gravity', 'Proof' and 'Things I Don't Understand' were included as B-sides to X&Y's singles.
The following is a sample setlist of a concert at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on 23 March 2006. The major changes to this set for the other tour dates mainly saw "X&Y" and "Low" performed in lieu of "What If", and "Swallowed in the Sea", respectively; Often, variations of these songs being played with one another occurred, such as "What If" and "Low". Also, "Parachutes" was often performed between "Yellow" and "Speed of Sound", and "Green Eyes" was sometimes added to the B-stage set.
Originally, the band were going to perform tracks from Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends such as "Lost!" and other unknown ones at Latin America but they did not want to ruin the surprise for the upcoming fourth studio album.
- "Square One"
- "Speed of Sound"
- "God Put a Smile upon Your Face"
- "What If"
- "How You See the World"
- "Don't Panic"
- "White Shadows"
- "The Scientist"
- "Til Kingdom Come"
- "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash (Cover)
- "Swallowed in the Sea"
- "In My Place"
- "Fix You"
|X&Y Secret Promo Gigs|
|4 March 2005||London||England||Whitfield Studios|
|11 March 2005||West Hollywood||United States||Troubadour|
|12 March 2005||Universal City||Universal Amphitheatre|
|6 April 2005||Amsterdam||Netherlands||Melkweg|
|7 April 2005||Cologne||Germany||Gloria Theater|
|11 April 2005||Madrid||Spain||Sala Pacha|
|18 April 2005||London||England||MTV Global Gig|
|19 April 2005||Round Chapel|
|29 April 2005||Paradise||United States||The Joint|
|30 April 2005||Indio||Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival|
|4 May 2005||San Francisco||The Fillmore|
|6 May 2005||Chicago||Metro Chicago|
|11 May 2005||Toronto||Canada||Kool Haus|
|13 May 2005||Boston||United States||Avalon|
|14 May 2005||Baltimore||HFStival|
|17 May 2005||New York City||Beacon Theatre|
|6 June 2005||Somerset||England||Glastonbury Festival|
|15 June 2005||Hamburg||Germany||Volks Park|
|17 June 2005||Cologne||Fühlinger|
|19 June 2005||Berlin||Kindl-Bühne Wuhlheide|
|22 June 2005||Dublin||Ireland||Marlay Park|
|27 June 2005||London||England||Crystal Palace National Sports Centre|
|28 June 2005|
|1 July 2005||Glasgow||Scotland||Bellahouston Park|
|2 July 2005|
|4 July 2005||Bolton||England||Reebok Stadium|
|5 July 2005|
|7 July 2005||Arnhem||Netherlands||GelreDome|
|9 July 2005||Munich||Germany||Coubertin Platz|
|10 July 2005||Vienna||Austria||St. Polen Air|
|11 July 2005||Verona||Italy||Verona Arena|
|13 July 2005||Locarno||Switzerland||Piazza Grande|
|14 July 2005||Six Fours – Île du Gaou||France||Festival des Voix du Gaou|
|29 July 2005||Yuzawa||Japan||Naeba Ski Resort|
|2 August 2005||Toronto||Canada||Air Canada Centre|
|3 August 2005||Montreal||Bell Centre|
|4 August 2005||Hartford||United States||Meadows Music Theater|
|6 August 2005||Mansfield||Comcast Center|
|7 August 2005||Camden||Tweeter Center at the Waterfront|
|9 August 2005||Cincinnati||Riverbend Music Center|
|11 August 2005||Burgettstown||Post-Gazette Pavilion|
|12 August 2005||Noblesville||Verizon Wireless Music Center|
|13 August 2005||East Troy||Alpine Valley Music Theatre|
|16 August 2005||Auburn||White River Amphitheatre|
|17 August 2005||Ridgefield||The Amphitheater at Clark County|
|19 August 2005||Auburn||White River Amphitheatre|
|20 August 2005||Irvine||Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre|
|21 August 2005|
|24 August 2005||Albuquerque||Journal Pavilion|
|25 August 2005||Phoenix||Cricket Wireless Pavilion|
|26 August 2005||Chula Vista||Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre|
|30 August 2005||Clarkston||DTE Energy Music Theatre|
|31 August 2005||Columbus||Germain Amphitheater|
|1 September 2005||Corfu||Darien Lake Performing Arts Center|
|3 September 2005||Holmdel||PNC Bank Arts Center|
|6 September 2005||New York City||Madison Square Garden|
|7 September 2005|
|9 September 2005||Charlotte||Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre|
|10 September 2005||Raleigh||Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion|
|13 September 2005||West Palm Beach||Sound Advice Amphitheatre|
|16 September 2005||Pelham||Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre|
|17 September 2005||Maryland Heights||UMB Bank Pavilion|
|18 September 2005||Antioch||Starwood Amphitheatre|
|20 September 2005||Minneapolis||Target Center|
|21 September 2005||Bonner Springs||Sandstone Amphitheater|
|23 September 2005||Dallas||Smirnoff Music Center|
|25 September 2005||Austin||Austin City Limits Music Festival|
|28 September 2005||Atlanta||Philips Arena|
|29 September 2005||Virginia Beach||Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheatre|
|30 September 2005||Bristow||Nissan Pavilion|
|26 October 2005||Antwerp||Belgium||Sportpaleis|
|28 October 2005||Oberhausen||Germany||Arena Oberhausen|
|30 October 2005||Copenhagen||Denmark||Forum Copenhagen|
|31 October 2005||Oslo||Norway||Oslo Spektrum|
|7 November 2005||Stockholm||Sweden||Stockholm Globe Arena|
|9 November 2005||Leipzig||Germany||Arena Leipzig|
|10 November 2005||Mannheim||SAP Arena|
|12 November 2005||Zürich||Switzerland||Hallenstadion|
|14 November 2005||Milan||Italy||Fila Forum|
|15 November 2005||Bologna||PalaMalaguti|
|17 November 2005||Marseille||France||Le Dôme de Marseille|
|18 November 2005||Toulouse||Le Zénith|
|20 November 2005||Barcelona||Spain||Palau Sant Jordi|
|22 November 2005||Madrid||Palacio de Deportes|
|23 November 2005||Lisbon||Portugal||Pavilhão Atlântico|
|25 November 2005||San Sebastián||Spain||Velódromo de Anoeta|
|28 November 2005||Lyon||France||Halle Tony Garnier|
|29 November 2005||Paris||Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy|
|30 November 2005||Antwerp||Belgium||Sportpaleis|
|14 December 2005||London||England||Earls Court Exhibition Centre|
|15 December 2005|
|16 December 2005|
|18 December 2005||Newcastle||Telewest Arena|
|19 December 2005||Manchester||Manchester Evening News Arena|
|21 December 2005||Belfast||Northern Ireland||Odyssey Arena|
|26 January 2006||Seattle||United States||KeyArena|
|28 January 2006||Vancouver||Canada||General Motors Place|
|29 January 2006|
|30 January 2006||Sacramento||United States||ARCO Arena|
|31 January 2006||Oakland||Oakland Arena|
|1 February 2006||San Jose||HP Pavilion at San Jose|
|3 February 2006||Paradise||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|4 February 2006||Inglewood||The Forum|
|6 February 2006||Anaheim||Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim|
|7 February 2006|
|19 February 2006||Denver||Pepsi Center|
|20 February 2006||Omaha||Qwest Center|
|22 February 2006||Auburn Hills||The Palace of Auburn Hills|
|23 February 2006||Louisville||Freedom Hall|
|25 February 2006||Houston||Toyota Center|
|26 February 2006||Dallas||American Airlines Center|
|27 February 2006||Oklahoma City||Ford Center|
|2 March 2006||Washington, D.C.||MCI Center|
|4 March 2006||Orlando||TD Waterhouse Centre|
|5 March 2006||Tampa||Ford Amphitheatre|
|17 March 2006||Ottawa||Canada||Scotiabank Place|
|19 March 2006||Milwaukee||United States||Bradley Center|
|20 March 2006||Cleveland||Quicken Loans Arena|
|22 March 2006||Toronto||Canada||Air Canada Centre|
|23 March 2006|
|25 March 2006||East Rutherford||United States||Continental Airlines Arena|
|26 March 2006||Uniondale||Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum|
|30 March 2006||Chicago||United Center|
|31 March 2006|
|3 April 2006||Manchester||Verizon Wireless Arena|
|4 April 2006||Uncasville||Mohegan Sun Arena|
|6 April 2006||Philadelphia||Wachovia Center|
|11 June 2006||Newport, Isle of Wight||England||Isle of Wight Festival|
|23 June 2006||Brisbane||Australia||Brisbane Entertainment Centre|
|24 June 2006|
|26 June 2006||Sydney||Sydney Entertainment Centre|
|27 June 2006|
|28 June 2006|
|1 July 2006||Melbourne||Rod Laver Arena|
|2 July 2006|
|3 July 2006|
|5 July 2006||Adelaide||Adelaide Entertainment Centre|
|7 July 2006||Perth||Burswood Dome|
|10 July 2006||Kallang||Singapore||Singapore Indoor Stadium|
|13 July 2006||Chek Lap Kok||Hong Kong||AsiaWorld-Arena|
|15 July 2006||Osaka||Japan||Intex Osaka|
|17 July 2006||Nagoya||Nippon Gaishi Hall|
|18 July 2006||Tokyo||Nippon Budokan|
|19 July 2006|
|14 February 2007||Santiago||Chile||Espacio Riesco|
|15 February 2007|
|16 February 2007|
|20 February 2007||Buenos Aires||Argentina||Teatro Gran Rex|
|21 February 2007|
|22 February 2007|
|26 February 2007||São Paulo||Brazil||Via Funchal|
|27 February 2007|
|28 February 2007|
|3 March 2007||Mexico City||Mexico||National Auditorium|
|4 March 2007|
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Footage was filmed at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on 22 and 23 March 2006, but (despite having announced a DVD release in March) they have shown the concert in Canada on Much Music. The airing date was Thursday 14 December 2006 at 9 pm and replays occurred at midnight and 3:30 pm on Friday 15 December 2006. Footage has also been shown on Spanish television and HDNet and there are plans to air it in other, non-specified countries. Due to the lack of airplay on mainstream channels in many countries, the show has been heavily shared over the Internet.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Twisted Logic Tour.|