Twistee Treat is a corporate owned chain of ice cream restaurants, founded in 1983 in North Fort Myers, Florida. The restaurants are characterized by buildings shaped in the form of soft-serve ice cream cones. The company is currently expanding throughout the Orlando and Tampa markets, building new stores. Corporate stores are marked with a chocolate dip and LED colored "sprinkles" on the roof of the cone.
The original Twistee Treat was a franchised chain of ice cream restaurants, founded in 1983 in North Fort Myers, Florida. The restaurants are characterized by buildings shaped in the form of soft-serve ice cream cones. It is known for its dipped ice cream cones.
The original company, which had 23 locations in Florida, went into bankruptcy in the early-1990s. A new Twistee Treat company, based in Orlando, Florida, was formed in 1996. As of 1999, the new company had 35 locations in Florida and Missouri. The company also sold a franchise to a Chatham, Ontario-based company that year.
In 2010 a new company, Twistee Treat USA began building new stores.
Bankruptcy and original franchises
When the original and subsequently the second parent company for Twistee Treat ceased operations, the rights to the name and building were handed over to the individual franchisees.
Twistee Treat USA
In 2010 Twistee Treat USA acquired the patents and rights to the company. They began building new stores under the Twistee Treat name, utilizing old buildings purchased from previous franchisees. A new building design was also created and will be used for future company expansion.
Existing stores owned by previous franchisees
While all new Twistee Treat stores are corporate owned, several privately owned stores from the previous corporations still operate around the US. These currently existing stores were granted the rights to use the name and building design, and are allowed to operate as they are. New buildings under the Twistee Treat banner are corporate owned.
- Butko, B.; Butko, S. (2005). Roadside Giants. Stackpole Books. pp. 78–79. ISBN 978-0-8117-3228-4. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Bahr, Jeff (2009). Amazing and Unusual America. Chicago, Illinois, USA: Publications International, Ltd. p. 113. ISBN 978-1-4127-1683-3.
- "Pretty please with sprinkles on top?". Hernando Sun. September 2, 2016. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Pohlen, J. (2012). Oddball Illinois. Chicago Review Press. p. 198. ISBN 978-1-61374-035-4. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Witthaus, Jack (April 13, 2017). "Twistee Treat ice cream stands to expand in Houston". Houston Business Journal. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Becker, Kayla (October 9, 2017). "Twistee Treat voted best ice cream in Central Fla". WESH. Retrieved March 29, 2018.
- Trusty, Sheri (August 11, 2014). "Twistee Treat continues a 20-year tradition". The News-Messenger. Retrieved March 29, 2018.