Two Is Better Than One
|"Two Is Better Than One"|
|Single by Boys Like Girls featuring Taylor Swift|
|from the album Love Drunk|
|Released||October 19, 2009|
|Boys Like Girls singles chronology|
"Two Is Better Than One" is a song written by American musician Martin Johnson and recorded by his group, the Andover power pop band Boys Like Girls. It is included on their second studio album, Love Drunk, which was released in 2009. The song is the second official single from the album and features country pop artist Taylor Swift. On some advanced copies of the album sent to reviewers and members of the press, the song does not feature Swift, rather, Johnson handles all vocals.
The track received large scale commercial success. By December 2011, "Two Is Better Than One" has sold 1,508,000 copies in the U.S. alone. It additionally received significant international airplay, reaching the #18 slot on the Canadian Hot 100.
|This section requires expansion with: detailed information on the video. (December 2009)|
A music video for the song was made. Swift does not appear in the video, but her vocals are still heard. It was directed by Meiert Avis. The music video features Erik Huffman from Survivor: China and Mika Combs from The Amazing Race 15. The music video shows the story of the relationship between a couple (played by Huffman and Combs). A scene where the band performed in a hall was also shown, starting with Johnson playing a guitar alone before the rest of the band members walked in.
A music video ecard was also released for the song "Two Is Better Than One".
Reception and commercial popularity
The single was sent to mainstream radio in the United States on October 19, 2009. FMQB Mainstream Releases "Two Is Better Than One" debuted at #92 on the Billboard Hot 100. It fell off the following week but re-entered at #79 and rose the following week to #64. After a few weeks, the song then reached its peak at #18 on the chart. It has since become Boys Like Girls' third Top 40 on the Hot 100 as well as Swift's 21st entry in the Top 40. It is also the group's biggest hit to date.
By December 2011, "Two Is Better Than One" had sold 1,508,000 copies in the U.S. alone. Such that its popularity that it even out-sold other big Taylor Swift hits such as "Tim McGraw" and "Fifteen".
With both related artists receiving acclaim, the song became Boys Like Girls' second consecutive Top 40 single on the Billboard Hot 100. Also, it gave Swift her 21st Top 40 song on that chart. For the chart week of January 9, 2010, the song became Boys Like Girls' first Top 20 single on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming their biggest hit single to date, and Swift's 11th Top 20 single.
In terms of live performances, Boys Like Girls performed this song with Malaysian songstress Misha Omar during the program MTV World Stage 2009, which was held at Sunway, Kuala Lumpur.
Charts and certifications
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||18|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||29|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||14|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||7|
|Canadian Hot 100||67|
|Billboard Hot 100||72|
- Kiefer, Kate (June 4, 2009). "Six Great Taylor Swift Songs". Paste. Paste Media Group LLC. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- "Gold and Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- "Ask Billboard: What Are Your 2011 Favorites?". billboard.com By Gary Trust. December 12, 2011.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "CMT Videos: "Two Is Better Than One"". Country Music Television. Retrieved 2009-12-12.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Boys Like Girls.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Boys Like Girls.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Boys Like Girls.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Boys Like Girls.
- "Boys Like Girls – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Boys Like Girls.