Two Years Before the Mast (film)
|Two Years Before the Mast|
|Directed by||John Farrow|
|Produced by||Seton I. Miller|
|Written by||Richard Henry Dana Jr. (diary)
Seton I. Miller
|Music by||Victor Young|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$4.4 million (US/ Canada rentals) 
1,270,487 admissions (France)
In 1834, Charles Stewart (Alan Ladd), the spoiled, dissolute son of a shipping magnate, is shanghaied aboard the Pilgrim, one of his father's own ships. He embarks upon a long, hellish sea voyage under the tyrannical rule of Captain Francis Thompson (Howard Da Silva), assisted by his first mate, Amazeen (William Bendix). One of his crewmates is Richard Henry Dana Jr. (Brian Donlevy).
Edward Small announced plans to film the book in 1939 under his deal with United Artists. However this was postponed due to World War Two. Plans to film it were again announced in 1940 and 1941 but no movie resulted. Paramount eventually bought the rights off Small in 1943, including a script Seton I Miller had written for the producer in 1939; Miller had since become a writer and producer at Paramount. Alan Ladd was announced as star.
- Alan Ladd as Charles Stewart
- Brian Donlevy as Richard Henry Dana
- William Bendix as First Mate Amazeen
- Barry Fitzgerald as Terence O'Feenaghty
- Howard Da Silva as Captain Thompson
- Esther Fernández as Maria Dominguez
- Albert Dekker as Brown
- Luis Van Rooten as 2nd Mate Foster
- Darryl Hickman as Sam Hooper
- Roman Bohnen as Macklin
- Ray Collins as Gordon Stewart
- Theodore Newton as Hayes
- Tom Powers as Bellamer
- James Burke as Carrick
- Frank Faylen as Hansen
- unbilled players include Dorothy Granger, Kitty Kelly, Barry Macollum, Cyril Ring and Duncan Renaldo
- "'Two Years Before Mast' Personnel Assembling: Peter Lawford Chosen as Greer Garson Suitor; Noted Veterans on Active List" Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) 14 Feb 1944: 11.
- "All-Time Top Grossers", Variety, 8 January 1964 p 69
- French box office of 1947 at Box Office Story
- "Marshall Will Play in 'My Son, My Son': Europe Lures Notables Students Belittle Stars Tommy Kelly Assigned Ann Sheridan's New Role" Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) 28 Mar 1939: 15.
- "PRODUCERS GIRD FOR WAR: The Cinema Capital Contemplates Its Probable Effects Upon the Industry" By DOUGLAS W. CHURCHILL. New York Times (1923-Current file) 10 Sep 1939: X3.
- "Of Local Origin" New York Times (1923-Current file) 01 Apr 1941: 29.
- "SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD: Paramount to Film 'Two Years Before Mast' -- 2 Broadway Openings This Week" Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) 06 Dec 1943: 21.
- "ACTORS ATTEND SCHOOL OF SEAMANSHIP.". The Advocate (Burnie, Tas.: National Library of Australia). 22 October 1948. p. 10. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Two Years Before the Mast at the TCM Movie Database
- Two Years Before the Mast at the Internet Movie Database