Twyford and Thorpe
|Twyford and Thorpe|
|Twyford and Thorpe shown within Leicestershire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||Melton Mowbray|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Twyford and Thorpe is a civil parish in Leicestershire, England, comprising the villages of Twyford and Thorpe Satchville, and the hamlet of John O' Gaunt. The parish, which is in the Melton district, has a population of 612 at the time of the 2001 census, increasing to 628 at the 2011 census.
Twyford is in the south of the parish, and the name is derived from the two fords in the village. There are two churches in the village; St Andrew (Church of England), which is a Grade I listed building with some parts dated from the 12th century, and a Methodist church.
The other main focal points of Twyford consist of The Saddle Inn public house, run by mother and daughter Amanda and Eli Lowe, Twyford Recreation Ground and Twyford Village Hall.
A focal point for Thorpe Satchville residents and beyond is the Fox Inn. For the last few years it has been owned by Yves and Elisabeth Ogrodzki who have brought a taste of Avignon to Leicestershire with the La Table d'Yves Restaurant.  Awarded a five star rating by the Leicester Mercury the pub organises regular interesting events.
John O' Gaunt is east of Twyford, on a minor road that leads to Burrough on the Hill. A railway station at John O' Gaunt was opened in 1879 and closed in 1953; the railway on which the station was situated has now been closed.
The parish of Twyford and Thorpe was created in 1936 when Twyford, an ancient parish, was merged with the parish of Thorpe Satchville, which was created in 1866 having previously been a chapelry of Twyford. However, they continue to be separate Church of England parishes.
Twyford and Thorpe Parish Council consist of five members, three from Twyford and two representing Thorpe. There was a recent election of the Parish Council for the Twyford Ward. The returned members were Sandy Johnson, Dave Angrave and John Pridmore.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Twyford and Thorpe CP (Parish)". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Twyford". Melton On Line. Melton Borough Council. Archived from the original on 18 September 2009. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Detailed Record: Church of St Andrew". Images of England. English Heritage. 2007. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Detailed Record: Church of St Michael". Images of England. English Heritage. 2007. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Twyford and Thorpe CP Leicestershire through time: Administrative history of Parish-level Unit". A Vision of Britain through Time. University of Portsmouth & others. 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
|This Leicestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|