Twyman–Stokes Teammate of the Year Award
|National Basketball Association awards and honors|
The Twyman–Stokes Teammate of the Year Award is an annual National Basketball Association (NBA) award that recognizes the league's "ideal teammate" who exemplifies "selfless play and commitment and dedication to his team." The award is named after Jack Twyman and Maurice Stokes. The two played together on the Rochester/Cincinnati Royals from 1955 to 1958 until Stokes' career was cut short after he suffered a head injury from a fall during a game against the Minneapolis Lakers. Stokes would later become paralyzed due to post-traumatic encephalopathy; a brain injury that damages the motor-control center. Twyman then became Stokes' legal guardian and advocate until Stokes died in 1970.
Every year, 12 players, six from each conference, are selected by a panel of NBA legends as nominees. NBA players then cast votes for the award, with ten points given for each first-place vote, seven for a second-place vote, five points for third, three points for fourth, and one point for each fifth-place vote received. The player with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award. The winner of this award is presented with the Twyman–Stokes Trophy. As a part of the award, the NBA also makes a $25,000 donation to charity of the recipient's choice.
Los Angeles Clippers guard Chauncey Billups was the inaugural winner of the award in 2013. That year, Miami Heat forward Shane Battier finished second and New York Knicks guard Jason Kidd placed third.
Tim Duncan went on to win the award for the 2014–15 season. Vince Carter came in second and Elton Brand finished third. After coming in at second the previous year, Carter won the award for the 2015–16 season.
|^||Denotes player who is still active in the NBA|
|Player (X)||Denotes the number of times the player has received the award|
|2012–13||Billups, ChaunceyChauncey Billups||Guard||United States||Los Angeles Clippers|||
|2013–14||Battier, ShaneShane Battier||Forward||United States||Miami Heat|||
|2014–15||Duncan, TimTim Duncan||Forward||United States||San Antonio Spurs|||
|2015–16||Carter, VinceVince Carter^||Forward||United States||Memphis Grizzlies|||
- Aschburner, Steve (June 9, 2013). "NBA To Unveil Twyman–Stokes Teammate Of Year Award, Announce Winner Sunday". Hang Time Blog. NBA.com (Turner Sports Interactive, Inc.). Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Billups Is Inaugural Winner Of Twyman/Stokes Teammate Award". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. June 9, 2013. Retrieved June 9, 2013.
- "Heat's Shane Battier voted as NBA's top teammate". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. May 24, 2014. Retrieved May 24, 2014.
- "Tim Duncan Wins 2014-15 Twyman-Stokes Teammate of the Year Award". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. August 19, 2015. Retrieved August 20, 2015.
- "Vince Carter wins 2015-16 Twyman-Stokes Teammate of the Year Award". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. June 8, 2016. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "Sports Trophies – Twyman-Stokes Teammate of the Year Award – Marc Mellon Sculpture Studio". Retrieved August 1, 2014.