Montgomery with the Green Bay Packers in 2015
|No. 88 Green Bay Packers|
|Date of birth:||January 22, 1993|
|Place of birth:||Jackson, Mississippi|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||230 lb (104 kg)|
|High school:||Dallas (TX) St. Mark's|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 3 / Pick: 94|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Ty Anthony Montgomery II (born January 22, 1993) is an American football running back for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Stanford. Montgomery was drafted as a wide receiver by the Packers in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. In 2016, he switched over to running back.
Montgomery attended St. Mark's School of Texas in Dallas, Texas, where he was a four-sport star in football, track, baseball, and lacrosse. He played as a wide receiver, running back, and quarterback for the football team. As a senior, he had 823 rushing yards on 93 carries and 17 catches with 10 total touchdowns. He had 118 catches and 36 total touchdowns during his high school career.
Also a standout track & field athlete, Montgomery competed as a sprinter and long jumper. At the 2011 SPC Championships, he earned first-place finishes in both the 100-meter dash (10.81 s) and 200-meter dash (22.20 s), while also anchoring the 4x100 squad to victory (43.15 s). He posted a career-best leap of 6.55 meters (21 ft, 3 in) in the long jump at the 2011 Lancaster Meet of Champions.
Montgomery played wide receiver at Stanford University from 2011 to 2014. As a junior in 2013, Montgomery was a consensus All-American as a return specialist. He led the nation with a 31.2 kickoff return average and scored two touchdowns. During his career, he had 172 receptions for 2,125 yards and 15 touchdown receptions.
|Montgomery's NFL Combine workout|
|Montgomery gets drafted by Green Bay|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40‑yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20‑ss||3‑cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 7⁄8 in||221 lb||31 in||10 1⁄8 in||4.55 s||1.59 s||2.64 s||4.21 s||6.97 s||40.5 in||10 ft 1 in||16 reps|
|All values are from NFL Combine, except bench press from Pro Day|
Montgomery was selected in the third round (94th overall) by the Green Bay Packers in the 2015 NFL Draft. On May 21, 2015, Montgomery signed a contract with the Packers. He was placed on injured reserve on December 21, 2015, after sustaining an ankle injury against the San Diego Chargers in Week 6.
For the first four games of the 2016 season, Montgomery saw only 17 snaps on offense and was held to zero catches. However, in a Week 6 game against the Dallas Cowboys he began seeing time in the backfield due to injuries to running backs Eddie Lacy and James Starks. He finished the game with 10 receptions for 98 yards in the Packers' 30–16 loss. In the next game, Montgomery had another 10 catch performance and rushed for 60 yards on nine carries against the Chicago Bears. After having little playing time as a running back due to a sickle-cell trait, head coach Mike McCarthy declared Montgomery a running back on December 13, 2016. In the following week's game against the Bears, Montgomery recorded career highs in carries (16) and yards (162). He also then passed Aaron Rodgers as the team's leading rusher for the 2016 season.
NFL career statistics
- "Ty Montgomery - GoStanford.com - Stanford University". gostanford.com. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "SPC Championships - Day 1 - Track & Field Meet". Athletic.net. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Lancaster Meet of Champions - Track & Field Meet". Athletic.net. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "AFCA Names Three All-America - GoStanford.com - Stanford University". gostanford.com. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Ty Montgomery". NFL.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Ty Montgomery - Stanford, WR : 2015 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Ty Montgomery Draft Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Packers sign CB Travis Manning, WR Ty Montgomery". Packers.com. May 21, 2015. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Packers move TE Andrew Quarless to active roster". Packers.com. December 21, 2015. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- Hodkiewicz, Wes (October 19, 2016). "Packers mixing it up on offense". Packers.com. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- Hodkiewicz, Wes (October 21, 2016). "Variation part of Packers' vision on offense". Packers.com. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- Daugherty, Patrick (2016-12-19). "Ty Montgomery's Breakout". Retrieved 2016-12-19 – via Rotoworld.
- Levinson, Josh (2016-12-13). "Ty Montgomery listed behind James Starks on Packers' depth chart". www.numberfire.com. Retrieved 2017-01-19.
- Hodkiewicz, Wes (2016-12-18). "Ty Montgomery's career day lifts Packers' offense". Retrieved 2017-01-19.