||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Bryant in 2013
|Birth name||Tyler Dow Bryant|
February 24, 1991 |
Honey Grove, Texas, United States
|Genres||Rock, blues rock, blues, hard rock|
Tyler got his first guitar at the age of 6. When he was 11, he sold the dirtbike his parents had given to him for Christmas and bought his first electric guitar, a red Epiphone Les Paul from Hollybond's Music Store in Paris, Texas. While still in elementary school, he met Roosevelt Twitty, a then-63-year-old blues musician from Paris, Texas. Mr. Twitty taught Tyler how to play the blues. At 13, Tyler and Mr. Twitty started playing shows around Texas. This was the age that Tyler also started writing songs.
At 15, Tyler put together the Tyler Bryant Band. The band toured Texas and the surrounding states. At one point, they played shows in Germany and Prague. In 2006, at 15, he was presented with the Robert Johnson Gibson New Generation Award for aspiring young guitar players. In 2007, Eric Clapton invited Tyler to play at Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago.
When Tyler entered high school, he started listening to rock and roll music, such as The Black Crowes, The Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. This music started influencing the songs that he was writing and playing. Tyler moved to Nashville at age 17 to write songs, and in the process he met drummer Caleb Crosby and bass player Calvin Webster. Caleb and Calvin joined Tyler's band, named "Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown", which now also includes bass guitarist Noah Denney and guitarist Graham Whitford (the latter being the son of Aerosmith's Brad Whitford).
In 2008, Tyler signed with John Huie at Creative Artists Agency as his booking agent. Tyler has toured with and opened shows for artists including Jeff Beck, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joe Bonamassa, B.B. King, Pat Benatar, Heart, Smash Mouth, Styx, REO Speedwagon, AC/DC and Vince Gill. Guitarist Vince Gill has said about Tyler, "To be 18 and play like this kid is the rarest of the rare. Hands down a future guitar god." In 2009 Tyler performed at the Grammy Foundation's 11th Annual Music Preservation Event: "Music in Focus" at the historic Wilshire Ebell Theater in Los Angeles. In 2009, he was featured, along with musicians including Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana and Slash, in the film Rock Prophecies. Tyler's song "Who I Am" is featured as downloadable content for Guitar Hero 5. Tyler performed at the 2011 Austin City Limits Music Festival.
Tyler has recorded with music producers Kevin Shirley (Led Zeppelin), Jed Leiber (Jeff Beck) and Roger Alan Nichols. In March 2011, Tyler released his first EP, called My Radio, which was later followed by another EP, From the Sandcastle. Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown released their debut album Wild Child on January 22, 2013. Their song "Loaded Dice & Buried Money" was available for streaming on October 13, 2015, and an EP titled The Wayside was announced with a release date of November 13, 2015. The present members of the group include Bryant (lead vocals, guitar), Graham Whitford (guitar, backing vocals), Noah Denney (bass, backing vocals) and Caleb Crosby (drums).
- "Topic matches for tyler dow bryant". Theparisnews.com. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101120191625/http://www.fender.com/artists/artist.php?id=216. Archived from the original on November 20, 2010. Retrieved December 1, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Music News & Entertainment". Fender.com. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20110104042534/http://www.tylerbryantmusic.com/press/channel-one-feature-official-press-release/. Archived from the original on January 4, 2011. Retrieved January 23, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Americana Music Times - Tyler Bryant". Texasmusictimes.com. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- Moore, Tracy (2010-06-07). "Bringing Guitar Back: Tyler Bryant Tomorrow Night at 2nd Ave. Live | Nashville Cream". Nashville Scene. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- "Tyler Bryant | abc7chicago.com". Abclocal.go.com. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2016-02-19.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101231225330/http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/16_Year_Old_to_Take_Stage_at_Crossroads_Festival.aspx. Archived from the original on December 31, 2010. Retrieved January 23, 2011. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101121111540/http://crossroadsguitarfestival.com/index.php/play-crossroads. Archived from the original on November 21, 2010. Retrieved January 23, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Dead Cool Dropouts". Tumblr. Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- "Hear Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown's gritty new single, "Loaded Dice & Buried Money"". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2015-10-24.
- Tyler Bryant's website
- Link to film Rock Prophecies
- Fender Guitar Profile of Tyler Bryant
- Article from NashvilleScene.com titled Bringing Guitar Back Tyler Bryant
- Profile from Texas Music Times
- Premier Guitar article 16-Year Old to Take Stage at Crossroads Festival
- Interview with Tyler Bryant on TheWaster.com