Chatwood with the Colorado Rockies
|Colorado Rockies – No. 32|
December 16, 1989 |
|April 11, 2011, for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||4.19|
Tyler Cole Chatwood (born December 16, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also pitched in MLB for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Chatwood made his major league debut on April 11, 2011 in a loss against the Cleveland Indians where he went five innings, giving up four runs on four hits with three strikeouts and four walks. In his second start against the Chicago White Sox he earned his first major league win, pitching seven innings, only giving up one run on five hits and two walks while striking out three. Chatwood remained in the rotation for most of the season, making 25 starts for the Angels. His hits allowed and inability to control his pitches led to him finishing with an ERA of 4.75 and a 6-11 record.
Chatwood began the 2012 season in the Rockies bullpen, appearing in 4 games while recording 1 save. At the beginning of August, Chatwood was inserted in the rotation. He finished with a record of 5-6 with a 5.43 ERA in 19 games (12 starts).
In 2013, Chatwood had his best season despite missing half the season because of injury. Chatwood made 20 starts, going 8-5 with a 3.15 ERA and inducing an over 50% groundball rate for the Rockies.
In July 2014, Chatwood underwent Tommy John surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament of the elbow in his pitching arm, ending his season after just 4 starts. He signed a two-year, $2 million extension with the Rockies on January 14, 2015.
After sitting out the entire 2015 season to recover from Tommy John surgery, Chatwood came back healthy in 2016. He made 27 starts in 2016, posting a 12-9 record with a 3.87 ERA over 158 innings. Despite his struggles at Coors Field in 2016 (6.12 ERA over 78 innings), Chatwood led all qualified pitchers in road ERA, he finished 2016, with a 1.69 road ERA over 80 innings and a 8-1 road record.
In January 2017, Chatwood and the Rockies avoided arbitration. The two sides settled on a one year deal for 4.4 million dollars for the 2017 season.
- "Angels select RHP Tyler Chatwood in 2008 MLB First-Year Player Draft". Mlb.com (Press release). Major League Baseball Advanced Media. June 5, 2008. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- Spencer, Lyle (April 12, 2011). "Chatwood impressive in debut defeat". Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- Spencer, Lyle (November 30, 2011). "Angels add Iannetta, deal Chatwood". MLB. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- Simon, Andrew (July 17, 2014). "Report: Chatwood to undergo Tommy John surgery". MLB.com. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- Harding, Thomas (January 14, 2015). "Rockies reach deals with Chatwood, Lyles, Stubbs". MLB.com.