Tyler Florence in 2019
|Education||Johnson & Wales University (Charleston, South Carolina)|
|Cooking style||Italian, American, Tex-Mex, Contemporary|
Tyler Florence (born March 3, 1971) is a chef and television host of several Food Network shows. He graduated from the College of Culinary Arts at the Charleston, South Carolina, campus of Johnson & Wales University in 1991. He was later given an honorary doctorate from the university for his culinary success. He is the owner and executive chef of Wayfare Tavern in San Francisco.
Florence was a presenter on Globe Trekker, hosted Food 911 and How to Boil Water, co-hosted Worst Cooks in America with Anne Burrell and currently hosts Tyler's Ultimate, The Great Food Truck Race, and Bite Club on the Food Network. Florence was a judge on Worst Cooks in America for seasons 6, 8, 12–13, and 15-present. Additionally in 2007, Florence and fellow chef Joey Altman co-hosted a celebrity chef cook-off to benefit Afterschool Alliance.
Outside of his work as presenter, he was featured on the ABC TV show Shaq's Big Challenge, which aired on July 17, 2007 and Momma's Boys, a reality show produced by Ryan Seacrest. He has also appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in a nationwide Sandwich Showdown. He has appeared a number of times on The Today Show, and was featured on The View in 2008. Florence serves on the board of the national nonprofit Afterschool Alliance, an organization that works to promote and to support quality after-school programs.
In 2018, Florence directed a documentary about the 2017 California Wildfires called Uncrushable. It features first-person footage of first responders and interviews with those directly affected by the disaster.
Florence also created a podcast called Wolf it Down where he interviewed several players in the food and tech space.
In 1997 Florence worked as a chef at Restaurant 147 on West 15th Street, New York. In 2008, he developed a plan to open Bar Florence, in the Hotel Vertigo in San Francisco, California. In 2009 he opened a small chain of luxury kitchen supply stores in Northern California and developed three new restaurant concepts for the area: Wayfare Tavern in downtown San Francisco (formerly, Rubicon restaurant); Rotisserie & Wine, a fast food restaurant in downtown Napa; and with Sammy Hagar, El Paseo in downtown Mill Valley, California, an American tavern featuring ingredients only from Marin County.
Florence married his wife Tolan Clark in 2006. Florence has 3 children.
- Real Kitchen, 2003
- Eat This Book: Cooking With Global Fresh Flavors, 2005
- Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time, 2006
- Stirring the Pot, 2008
- Dinner at My Place, 2008
- Family Meal, 2010
- Start Fresh: Your Child's Start to Lifelong Healthy Eating, 2011
- Tyler Makes Pancakes, with Craig Frazier, 2012
- Tyler Florence Fresh, 2012
- Tyler Makes Spaghetti, with Craig Frazier, 2013
- Inside The Test Kitchen, 2014
- "Celebrity Chef Cook-Off at Jack Falstaff". TableHopper.com. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- "Afterschool Alliance — Mission". GreatNonprofits.org. Retrieved 13 November 2010.
- Anh-Minh Le (2008-11-19). "At home with chef Tyler Florence". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Stacy Finz (2009-10-08). "Tyler Florence, Hagar take over El Paseo space". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Leah Garchik (2007-08-20). "Tyler Florence". San Francisco Chronicle.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tyler Florence.|