Glasnow with the Pirates in 2017
|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 24|
August 23, 1993 |
|July 7, 2016, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||6.75|
Glasnow attended William S. Hart High School in Santa Clarita, California. Glasnow was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the fifth round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft. He broke a commitment to the University of Portland by signing with the Pirates for a $600,000 signing bonus. He made his professional debut for the Gulf Coast Pirates of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League in 2012 and also started one game for the State College Spikes of the Class A-Short Season New York–Penn League. In 2013, he played for the West Virginia Power of the Class A South Atlantic League. He finished the season with a 2.03 earned run average (ERA) and 164 strikeouts in 111 innings. His 164 strikeouts were the most strikeouts in a single season in Power franchise history, passing Will Inman's 134 in 2006.
Glasnow played for the Bradenton Marauders of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League in 2014. After beginning the 2015 season with the Altoona Curve of the Class AA Eastern League, he sprained his ankle on May 6, and made his return on June 19 with the West Virginia Black Bears of the New York–Penn League. After two starts with West Virginia, Glasnow returned to Altoona. In late July, the Pirates promoted Glasnow to the Indianapolis Indians of the Class AAA International League. The Pirates considered promoting Glasnow to the major leagues in 2015, but decided against it. After the 2015 season, the Pirates added Glasnow to their 40-man roster.
Glasnow began the 2016 season with Indianapolis and was promoted to make his major league debut on July 7.
In his first start of 2017, Glasnow gave up 5 runs on 4 hits and 5 walks in 1.2 innings pitched.
- Neumann, Thomas (July 7, 2016). "Towering Tyler Glasnow ready to fill a tall order for Pirates". ESPN.com. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "CHATTER: Hart's Glasnow looks like an ace". presstelegram.com. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "LA North: Pirates pick Hart's Tyler Glasnow in fifth round of MLB draft". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "Pirates' big risk with pitch-heavy draft focus might soon pay off". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "Mixed Emotions: A record and a loss: Power fall 7–1 as Glasnow sets strikeouts a new record". MiLB.com. August 7, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "Prospect Glasnow makes scoreless season debut". Pittsburgh Pirates. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- "Pirates prospect Tyler Glasnow struggles in rehab outing". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. June 20, 2015. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- Brink, Bill (July 30, 2015). "Pirates notebook: Top prospect Tyler Glasnow promoted to Class AAA". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Biertempfel, Rob (February 20, 2016). "Major expectations for top Pirates prospect Glasnow". Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Brink, Bill (November 20, 2015). "Pirates add four to 40-man roster". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Tyler Glasnow ready to fill a tall order for Pirates".
- "Tyler Glasnow: Commanding Attention for the Wrong Reasons – Yawkey Talk". www.yawkeytalk.com.