Holt with the Cincinnati Reds in 2016
March 10, 1989 |
|July 6, 2014, for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||15|
Holt was born on March 10, 1989, in Marion, Indiana to Becky and Kenny Holt. He was raised in Gainesville, Florida, and played baseball for Gainesville High School. Holt played college baseball for the Florida State Seminoles baseball team. In 2010, he had a batting average of .355 with 87 runs, 26 doubles, and 13 home runs.
The Cleveland Indians selected Holt in the 10th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He began his minor league career that fall with the Class A Lake County Captains, where he had a .286 batting average in 22 games. In 2011, Holt spent the season with the Kinston Indians. In 123 games, he had a .254 average and 34 stolen bases. Holt split the 2012 season with the Carolina Mudcats and Akron Aeros, then spent the full 2013 season in Akron. Holt split 2014 with Akron and the Columbus Clippers, where he had a .308 batting average and 20 stolen bases in 59 games.
Holt was called up to the majors for the first time on July 6, 2014, and made his debut that night replacing Ryan Raburn in right field in the ninth inning, but did not make a plate appearance. Holt was optioned back to Triple-A Columbus on July 8. Holt was recalled on August 1. On August 13, Holt got his first major league hit with a single up the middle against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Holt was sent back down to the minors only to be recalled on August 19, 2014 as Raburn was put back on the disabled list again. Holt made his first pinch hit debut as an Indian for Chris Dickerson in the sixth inning hitting a two-out, two-run double the same day as being called up again.
Holt was called upon to pitch for the first time in his career in an August 22, 2016 game between the Reds and Los Angeles Dodgers at Great American Ball Park. The Dodgers had hit seven homers in the 18-9 game and the Reds' bullpen was depleted in the eighth inning. Holt pitched the ninth, delivering 60 mph knuckleballs and "batting-practice fastballs" to retire the side on 5 pitches.
Holt signed with the Dodgers as a minor league free agent for the 2017 season and was assigned to the Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers. He was in eight games for Oklahoma City and 12 for the Tulsa Drillers and was released on May 16.
- "Tyler Holt". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- "Tyler Holt". seminoles.com. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Hoynes, Paul (August 14, 2010). "Florida State's Tyler Holt cashes in on Tribe offer, top four draftees still unsigned". Cleveland.com. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Tyler Holt Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Massie, Jim (July 6, 2014). "Baseball: Clippers' Tyler Holt called up by Indians". The Columbus Dispatch. New Media Investment Group. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- "Gainesville's Holt returns to Triple A after Cleveland call-up". gainesville.com. July 8, 2014. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Zuppe, T.J. (August 1, 2014). "Indians Designate Zach McAllister For Assignment, Recall OF Tyler Holt From AAA". cleveland.cbslocal.com. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- "Arizona VS Cleveland". vegasinsider.com. August 13, 2014. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- Hoynes, Paul (August 19, 2014). "Cleveland Indians place Ryan Raburn on DL; Tyler Holt recalled from Triple-A". Cleveland.com. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Manoloff, Dennis (August 24, 2014). "Cleveland Indians go small for big victory over Houston Astros: DMan's Report, Game 128, Saturday". The Plain Dealer. Advance Publications. Retrieved August 17, 2015.
- "Dodgers smash seven homers off Reds pitchers but can't touch OF Tyler Holt". WCPO-TV. 22 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Oklahoma City Dodgers (April 5, 2017). "OKC Dodgers Release 2017 Opening Day Roster". milb.com. Retrieved April 5, 2017.