Tyler Johnson (American football)
|No. 14 – Houston Texans|
|Born:||August 25, 1998|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||206 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||North Community (Minneapolis, Minnesota)|
|NFL Draft:||2020 / Round: 5 / Pick: 161|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 1, 2022|
|Player stats at NFL.com · PFR|
Tyler Johnson (born August 25, 1998) is an American football wide receiver for the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Minnesota, and was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft.
Johnson attended North Community High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In high school, he played quarterback and defensive back. He committed to play college football at the University of Minnesota as a wide receiver, after receiving offers from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State.
As a true freshman at Minnesota in 2016, Johnson played in all 13 games with one start and had 14 receptions for 141 yards and one touchdown. As a sophomore in 2017, he started the first ten games of the season before suffering an injury which cost him the final two games. He ended the season with 35 catches for 677 yards and seven touchdowns. As a junior in 2018, Johnson started all 13 games, recording 78 receptions for school records 1,169 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was voted First-Team All-Big Ten by the media, and Second-Team by the coaches. Johnson returned to Minnesota for his senior season in 2019 rather than enter the 2019 NFL Draft. In his senior season, Johnson caught 86 passes for 1,318 yards and 13 touchdowns, all of which led the Big Ten and set new single-season school records. This earned him First-Team All-Big Ten honors. His season was capped by a 12-reception, 204-yard, two-touchdown performance against Auburn in the Outback Bowl, and he was named the 2020 Outback Bowl MVP. His 12 catches were tied for the 3rd most by a Minnesota receiver in one game, and his 204 yards were the second-most by a Minnesota receiver in one game. Johnson left Minnesota second all-time in receptions, with 213, and the all-time leader in both receiving yards, with 3,305, and receiving touchdowns, with 33.
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand span|
|6 ft 1+3⁄8 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Johnson was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the 161st pick in the fifth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. In Week 5 of the 2020 season, he recorded his first four career receptions for 61 receiving yards in the 20–19 loss to the Chicago Bears. In Week 6 against the Green Bay Packers, he scored his first professional receiving touchdown on a seven-yard reception from Tom Brady. Overall, Johnson finished his rookie season with 12 receptions for 169 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns in 14 games. Johnson drew a critical, game-sealing pass-interference penalty on Green Bay Packers cornerback Kevin King in the NFC Championship game, which the Bucs won 31–26 to advance to Super Bowl LV, where they won 31–9 over the Kansas City Chiefs. Johnson earned a single target in the win.
The Buccaneers waived Johnson on August 30, 2022.
- Mason, Tyler. "From Minneapolis North to the Gophers, Tyler Johnson is..." The Athletic.
- "Minneapolis North's Tyler Johnson commits to Gophers football team". Star Tribune.
- "Gophers add versatility with Minneapolis North's Tyler Johnson". February 3, 2016.
- Edholm, Eric. "NFL draft: Forget his 40 time — Minnesota's Tyler Johnson is among the elite college receivers". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- Greder, Andy. "After big junior season, could Gophers' Tyler Johnson leave early for NFL?". Grand Forks Herald. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Big Ten Announces Football All-Conference Teams for Offense". bigten.org. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Tyler Johnson returning to Gophers for senior season goes beyond football". Star Tribune.
- "Pride of the North Side: Minneapolis sees Tyler Johnson as an agent for hope". Star Tribune. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Big Ten Announces Football All-Conference Teams for Offense and Select Individual Honors". bigten.org. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Gophers dominate Auburn 31–24 to win Outback Bowl". Star Tribune. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Minnesota Golden Gophers Receiving". College Football at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Tyler Johnson College Stats". College Football at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved October 26, 2020.
- "Tyler Johnson Combine Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- "NFL Draft: Tyler Johnson is selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 5th Round". The Daily Gopher. April 27, 2020. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- "Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Chicago Bears – October 8th, 2020". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "Green Bay Packers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers – October 18th, 2020". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Tyler Johnson 2020 Game Log". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- Patra, Kevin (February 7, 2021). "What we learned from Buccaneers win over Chiefs in Super Bowl LV". NFL.com. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- Easterling, Luke (August 30, 2022). "Bucs waive WR Tyler Johnson". BucsWire. USAToday.com. Retrieved September 1, 2022.
- "Houston Texans Transactions (8-31-2022)". HoustonTexans.com. August 31, 2022.