Tyler Johnson (American football)
|No. 18 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Born:||August 25, 1998|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||North Community (Minneapolis, Minnesota)|
|NFL Draft:||2020 / Round: 5 / Pick: 161|
|Roster status:||Unsigned draft pick|
|Career highlights and awards|
Johnson attended North Community High School in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In high school, he played quarterback and defensive back. He committed to play college football at the University of Minnesota as a wide receiver.
As a true freshman at Minnesota in 2016, Johnson played in all 13 games with one start and had 14 receptions for 141 yards and one touchdown. As a sophomore in 2017, he started the first ten games of the season before suffering an injury which cost him the final two games. He ended the season with 35 catches for 677 yards and seven touchdowns. As a junior in 2018, Johnson started all 13 games, recording 78 receptions for school records 1,169 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was voted 1st team All-Big Ten by the media, and 2nd team by the coaches. Johnson returned to Minnesota for his senior season in 2019 rather than enter the 2019 NFL Draft. In his senior season, Johnson caught 86 passes for 1,318 yards and 13 touchdowns, all of which led the Big Ten and set new single-season school records. This earned him 1st team All-Big Ten honors. His season was capped by a 12 reception, 204 yard, 2 touchdown performance against Auburn in the Outback Bowl, and he was named the 2020 Outback Bowl MVP. His 12 catches were tied for the 3rd most by a Minnesota receiver in one game, and his 204 yards were the 2nd most by a Minnesota receiver in one game. Johnson left Minnesota 2nd all-time in receptions, with 213, and the all-time leader in both receiving yards, with 3,305, and receiving touchdowns, with 33.
- Mason, Tyler. "From Minneapolis North to the Gophers, Tyler Johnson is..." The Athletic.
- "Minneapolis North's Tyler Johnson commits to Gophers football team". Star Tribune.
- "Gophers add versatility with Minneapolis North's Tyler Johnson". February 3, 2016.
- "NFL draft: Forget his 40 time — Minnesota's Tyler Johnson is among the elite college receivers". sports.yahoo.com.
- "After big junior season, could Gophers' Tyler Johnson leave early for NFL?". Grand Forks Herald.
- "Tyler Johnson returning to Gophers for senior season goes beyond football". Star Tribune.
- "Pride of the North Side: Minneapolis sees Tyler Johnson as an agent for hope". Star Tribune.
- "NFL Draft: Tyler Johnson is selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 5th Round". The Daily Gopher. April 27, 2020. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
|This biographical article relating to an American football wide receiver born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|