Kennedy in March 2015.
July 15, 1986 |
Sault Ste. Marie, ON, CAN
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
San Jose Sharks
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
|NHL Draft||99th overall, 2004
Tyler Kennedy (born July 15, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre who is currently an unrestricted free agent. He most recently played for the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League (NHL). Kennedy has also previously played in the NHL for the Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders. He was selected by the Penguins in the fourth round, 99th overall, of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
Kennedy was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the fourth round, 99th overall, of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. After being selected, Kennedy played two seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). He then began playing for Pittsburgh's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, for the 2006–07 season. The next season, 2007–08, Kennedy then played in his first NHL game on October 27, 2007, against the Montreal Canadiens. He later scored his first career NHL goal on November 3 against the New York Islanders.
In his debut season, Kennedy was named to the NHL's YoungStars Team in 2008 alongside Penguins teammate Kris Letang. Kennedy, however, was unable to compete in the game due to mononucleosis. In September 2008, just prior to the 2008–09 season, the Penguins signed Kennedy to a contract extension through to the 2010–11 season.
In the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals against the Detroit Red Wings, Kennedy scored a goal in Game 4 of the series, also adding the game-winner goal in Game 6. The Penguins would go on to defeat Detroit in seven games to win the Stanley Cup.
Although up to this point Kennedy has had a low profile in terms of hockey fame, he attracted some notoriety when Penguins fans and ultimately the public address announcer at Mellon Arena would chant his name in the style of former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler Mr. Kennedy (Ken Anderson).
Kennedy was re-signed by the Penguins in the 2011 off-season, although his signing caused some controversy when it was reported that Pittsburgh may have deterred former Penguin legend Jaromír Jágr by signing Kennedy. Jágr later signed with the Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh's state rivals. Early in the 2011–12 season with the Penguins, Kennedy was sidelined by a concussion. He was later traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a second-round draft pick in 2013.
In September 2015, Kennedy attended training camp on invitation with the New Jersey Devils as a professional tryout before being released after appearing in three pre-season games. Unsigned after the first quarter of the 2015–16 played, Kennedy returned to the Devils fold, in training with the club on another professional tryout deal on November 18, 2015.
On November 27, 2015, Kennedy signed a one-year, two way contract with the New Jersey Devils for $600,000.
|2002–03||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||61||5||10||15||33||4||0||0||0||0|
|2003–04||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||63||16||26||42||28||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004–05||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||61||21||36||57||37||4||1||3||4||4|
|2005–06||Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds||OHL||64||22||48||70||60||4||1||2||3||2|
|2013–14||San Jose Sharks||NHL||67||4||13||17||34||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||25||4||5||9||8||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||New York Islanders||NHL||13||2||3||5||2||3||0||0||0||2|
|2015–16||New Jersey Devils||NHL||50||3||13||16||14||—||—||—||—||—|
- "NHL Entry Draft Year by Year Results". National Hockey League.
- "Penguins Re-Sign Forward Tyler Kennedy". National Hockey League. September 26, 2008. Retrieved September 26, 2008.
- Buker, Rick (2010). "Total Penguins: The Definitive Encyclopedia of the Pittsburgh Penguins".
- Wharnsby, Tim (June 10, 2009). "Going to Game 7; Staal and Kennedy score, Fleury bars the door, the Pittsburgh Penguins avoid elimination and the NHL final series is ....". The Globe and Mail.
- Rossi, Rob (March 17, 2008). "Pens' 'Mr. Kennedy' enjoys attention from fans". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved October 3, 2009.
- Yerdon, Joe (December 29, 2011). "Apparently Tyler Kennedy Prevented Jagrs return to Pittsburgh". Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Flyers sign Jagr and Talbot, lose Leino.". The Philadelphia Inquirer. July 2, 2011.
- Dubow, Josh (2013-06-30). "Sharks acquire Tyler Kennedy from Penguins". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "Islanders trade for Neuvirth, Kennedy: report". National Hockey League. March 2, 2015. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Devils give Kennedy the Ax from PTO". NBC Sports. 2015-10-03. Retrieved 2015-10-03.
- New Jersey Devils (2015-11-18). "Devils invite Kennedy to train on PTO". Twitter]]. Retrieved 2015-11-18.
- NBC Sports | date= 2015-11-27
- Sinichak, Jessica (May 9, 2014). "Brandi Engel & Tyler Kennedy". Pittsburgh Magazine. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Engel, Brandi (November 1, 2015). "Brandi Engel - Cookie G Kennedy ❤ Born 10/28/15 at 7:50 am. 6 lbs, 14oz, 20.25 in.". Facebook. Retrieved June 12, 2016.