Shields in December 2011
April 29, 1982 |
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation||Photographer, screenwriter, director, inline skater|
Shields credits Fraser Kee Scott of A Gallery with discovering him, stating, "I have a lot of friends that are Scientologists ... Fraser [Kee Scott], the guy who runs that gallery, he found me back in the MySpace days. He is a very, very fucking smart guy and he has a great eye for things. He worked at my last gallery and to my knowledge he wasn't promoting Scientology to anybody, he was trying to sell art."
His work often involves images of violence and splattered blood. He collected blood from 20 celebrities to make a piece of art for his Life Is Not a Fairytale exhibit in Los Angeles and also photographed Lindsay Lohan as a vampire for that exhibit.
In 2010, Shields photographed Lohan in studio portraits brandishing a gun.
Shields was criticized for a photoshoot with Glee star Heather Morris with a bruised eye as making light of abusive treatment of women. Shields later apologized after receiving death threats, saying, "If you are anti-domestic abuse spread the word about it. Threatening to kill me is not going to help anything."
Accusations of plagiarism
Shields has been accused by many of deliberately plagiarizing the photography and art of fellow artists and creating false back stories in order to support his claim of originality.
An article written by Vice shows side-by-side comparisons of Shields' accused plagiarized work next to the apparent originals. Shields has repeatedly rejected that he is inspired or influenced by any other photographer's work.
- Final Girl (2015) - Director
- Jacopo Nuvolari. "Chromatic by Tyler Shields". 1883 Magazine. GlamStyle. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Ashley Lee (8 August 2012). "Tyler Shields Talks Debut Photo Book 'The Dirty Side of Glamour' (Exclusive Image)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Clark, Ryan F. (January 11, 2003). "Hawk Still Stoked Over Tricks Of Trade". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "The 1999 ASA Pro Tour jams N2 Ontario CA". N2inline.Com. June 3, 1999. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Tomalin, Terry (May 19, 2000). "Edgy sport keeps generation in-line". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Ann Binlot (12 August 2011). "What's Lindsay Lohan Doing With That Knife?: A Q&A With Tyler Shields, Young Hollywood's Hottest and Most Twisted Photographer". Blouin Artinfo. Blouin Media. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Lina Lecaro (10 November 2011). "Tyler Shields: Warhol or Wannabe?". LAWeekly. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Shields collects stars' blood for artwork Star (magazine) April 7, 2011
- Lindsay poses as vampire in new Tyler Shields’ exhibit Tuesday, Daily Times May 10, 2011
- Oh, Eunice (2010-04-29). in February 2012 published a photo shoot taking as his model the beautiful singer and actress Demi Lovato of 19 "PHOTO: Lindsay Lohan with Gun to Her Mouth" Check
value (help). People.com. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- Ellie Krupnick (2 September 2011). "Heather Morris Poses For Domestic Abuse-Themed Shoot (PHOTOS)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Andrea Magrath and Marcus Barnes (5 September 2011). "Photographer behind emotive pictures of Glee star Heather Morris issues an apology after he receives 'death threats'". DailyMail. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (December 15, 2014). "Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Daniel Radcliffe, Rian Johnson & More Announce 2014 Black List, Plus Full Ranking Of Scripts". Indiewire. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- Tyler Shields The Wild Ones Nov 18th, 2014
- Witness a Final Girl