|San Diego Padres – No. 40|
July 20, 1990 |
|June 24, 2017, for the New York Yankees|
(through May 27, 2018)
|Earned run average||8.31|
Jon Tyler Webb (born July 20, 1990) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut in 2017 for the New York Yankees and also played for the Milwaukee Brewers. Webb played college baseball for the University of South Carolina.
Webb attended Northampton High School in Eastville, Virginia. After graduating from high school, Webb enrolled at the University of South Carolina, where he played college baseball for the South Carolina Gamecocks baseball team. He was a member of the 2010 and 2011 College World Series championship teams. In 2012, his junior year, Webb pitched to a 6–1 win–loss record and a 1.56 earned run average (ERA), and recorded 58 strikeouts in 57 2⁄3 innings pitched. Before his senior year, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association named Webb a second-team preseason All-American. Serving as the Gamecocks' closer, Webb recorded 17 saves in the 2013 season, and was named a third-team All-American by Collegiate Baseball and a second-team All-Southeastern Conference pitcher after the season. He finished his Gamecocks' career with a 2.34 ERA and the record for games pitched (110).
New York Yankees
The New York Yankees selected him in the tenth round, with the 314th overall selection, of the 2013 MLB draft. The Yankees assigned him to the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York–Penn League after he signed, but promoted him to the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League two weeks later. Webb began the 2014 season with the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League, and was promoted to the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League. He was named an Eastern League All-Star, and was promoted to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders of the Class AAA International League following the All-Star break. For the season, Webb went 3–6 with a 3.80 ERA and 12 saves in 48 games and 68.2 innings pitched.
Webb received a non-roster invitation to spring training with the Yankees in 2015, and opened the season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. His playing time was limited due to a tendon injury, and the Yankees assigned Webb to the Arizona Fall League after the regular season. In 2016, he pitched for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
On December 8, 2016, the Pittsburgh Pirates selected Webb from the Yankees in the Rule 5 draft. He competed for a role with the Pirates during spring training, but was returned to the Yankees before the regular season. Webb began the 2017 season with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
The Yankees promoted Webb to the major leagues on June 22, 2017. He made his MLB debut on June 24. He made seven relief appearances for the Yankees, pitching to a 4.50 ERA while striking out five and walking four in six innings.
Milwaukee and San Diego
On July 13, 2017, the Yankees traded Webb to the Milwaukee Brewers for Garrett Cooper. Webb pitched for Milwaukee and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League (PCL). He was designated for assignment on April 7, 2018.
- "Webb drafted by New York Yankees". The Daily Times. June 12, 2013. Archived from the original on July 18, 2014. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Gamecocks' Tyler Webb Named To NCBWA Preseason All-America Team – 14 News, WFIE, Evansville, Henderson, Owensboro". 14news.com. December 14, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Former Gamecock Tyler Webb happy to be back in South Carolina". The Post and Courier. July 8, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "USC's Webb drafted by Yankees : Sports : WACH.com". wach.com. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Thunder's Tyler Webb headed to All-Star game". trentonian.com. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- "Thunder fall in extras". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Jennings, Chad (September 4, 2015). "Prospects in the desert: Eppler breaks down Yankees' Fall League assignments". The LoHud Yankees Blog. The Journal News. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- "Northampton's Webb on track to be a Yankee". The Daily Times. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "Pirates pitcher Tyler Webb has never been to a professional sporting event". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. March 23, 2017. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- Biertempfel, Rob. "Pirates reliever Webb stuck in tough spot as Rule 5 pick". Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "Pirates Return Tyler Webb To Yankees". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- Collins, Donnie. "Nothing's free: Mechanics, command help revitalize Webb – Sports". The Times-Tribune. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "Eastern Shore native Tyler Webb called up to Yankees". The Daily Times. June 22, 2017. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Pollitt, Richard (June 30, 2017). "Tyler Webb reflects on MLB experience". The Daily Times. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "Yankees deal Tyler Webb to Brewers for prospect Garrett Cooper". NY Daily News. July 13, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "Brewers trade Triple A first baseman for Yankees LHP Tyler Webb". FOX6Now.com. July 13, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Ford, Brad. "San Diego Padres claim Tyler Webb off waivers from Milwaukee Brewers". Brew Crew Ball. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- Bezjak, Lou. "Former Gamecock Tyler Webb recalled by San Diego". The State. Retrieved April 17, 2018.