Type 01 LMAT
|Type 01 LMAT|
A Type 01 LMAT launcher on display.
|Type||Manportable fire-and-forget anti-tank missile|
|Place of origin||Japan|
|Designer||Defense Agency Technical Research and Development Institute|
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Unit cost||$260,000 (reusable Command Launch Unit) (2001)|
|Weight||11.4 kg missile
17.5 kg system
|Effective firing range||2 km|
|Sights||Thermographic camera (Uncooled infrared detector)|
|Warhead||Tandem-charged HEAT warhead|
|Engine||Solid Fuel Rocket|
|Speed||4 kilometres per minute (67 m/s)|
|infrared homing, CCD|
The Type 01 LMAT (01式軽対戦車誘導弾 01-shiki kei-tai-sensha yūdō-dan?) is a Japanese man-portable fire-and-forget anti-tank missile. Development began in 1993 at Kawasaki Heavy Industries and was accepted into service in 2001. During development, the missile was designated with the codename XATM-5. It was later known shortly as the ATM-5.
As a replacement was needed for the Sumitomo FT-84 recoilless rifle in front-line service with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Forces, plans to replace it with an Infrared homing anti-tank missile was commissioned by the Defense Agency Technical Research and Development Institute. In 1993, Kawasaki Heavy Industries was selected to create the said anti-tank missile system. In trials conducted by the JGSDF, the system was known as the XATM-5. The system was created in the same year with live testing done in 1996.
In 2001, after 11 years, it was finally placed into service with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Forces as the Type 01 LMAT which translates from Japanese to Type 01 light anti-tank guided missile. A report filed by the Ministry of Defense in 2005 called for acquisition of an unknown number of 01 LMAT missile systems among various military items purchased from Kawasaki Heavy Industries for 129,700,000,000 Yen.
The LMAT's missile warhead is HEAT by default, although ERA can be applied.(probably incorrect ERA is explosive reactive armor and is not something that is applied to a weapon, most likely it is a tandem warhead design to defeat ERA.)
- Japan: 1073 Sets (2010)
Similar anti-tank missiles
References and notes
- ＡＴＭ-5（01式軽対戦車誘導弾） (in Japanese). Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- "01式軽対戦車誘導弾 略称：LMAT" (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- "01式軽対戦車誘導弾（Type 01 LMAT）" (in Japanese). Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- "XATM-5 Light Anti-Tank Missile [MAT]". Federation of American Scientists. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- 平成22年 習志野 第1空挺団 降下訓練始め (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- 01式 軽対戦車誘導弾 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- note - the LMAT is very similar to the lower cost option-design that Raytheon in 1985 offered the US Army for it AAWS-M program
- 平成17年度中央調達実施概況（速報値） (PDF) (in Japanese). Japanese Ministry of Defense. Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- 01式軽対戦車誘導弾 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2010-04-23.
- Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary, Kenkyusha Limited, Tokyo 1991, ISBN 4-7674-2015-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Type 01 LMAT.|