Type 071 amphibious transport dock
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type 071 amphibious transport dock ship Changbai Shan (989)
|Operators:||People's Liberation Army Navy Surface Force|
|Succeeded by:||Type 075 landing helicopter dock|
|Type:||Amphibious transport dock|
|Displacement:||25,000 tons full load.|
|Length:||210 m (689 ft 0 in)|
|Beam:||28 m (91 ft 10 in)|
|Draft:||7 m (23 ft 0 in)|
|Propulsion:||Four marine Shaanxi 16 PC2.6 V400 diesel engines, two shafts|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h; 29 mph)|
|Range:||10,000 nmi (19,000 km) at 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
|Boats & landing |
|Capacity:||15–20 armoured vehicles|
|Sensors and |
|Aircraft carried:||4 Z-8 Super Frelon|
The Type 071 (NATO reporting name: Yuzhao) is a Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) amphibious transport dock. The Type 071 provides the PLAN with capabilities and flexibility not found in its previous landing ships.
Type 071 LPD ships feature a unique hull platform offering a large dock space. The ship also offers a dedicated space for medical care and is equipped with a fresh water supply system. The stabilizers fitted to the vessel reduce roll and improve the stability in high sea states.
The amphibious warfare ship features a vehicle deck, well-deck, landing deck and a hangar. It can carry a combination of marines, vehicles, landing craft and helicopters. The ship may embark 600 to 800 troops. The stern helicopter deck offers two landing spots for supporting the operations of two Z-8 (SA 321 Super Frelon) transport helicopters. The twin-door cantilever hangar can house up to four Z-8 helicopters. The well deck houses up to four Type 726 air-cushioned landing craft., which can transfer vehicles or marines to the shore at high speed. The LCAC are launched by flooding of the docking area. The vessel can also carry landing craft on port / starboard davits. The vehicle deck can house amphibious assault vehicles including ZBD05 amphibious IFV, and ZTD-05 amphibious light tank. The stern ramp, two side doors and ramps allow rapid loading of the vehicles and equipment.
The Type 071 may operate as the flagship of a task force. the Type 071 may also conduct and support humanitarian, disaster relief, and counterpiracy missions, in addition to amphibious assaults.
The LPD is equipped with a Type 360 (Seagull-S) air / surface search radar operating on E / F-band frequencies, a Type 364 G-band air search radar, a Type 344 I-band fire control radar and a navigation radar.
The Type 071 LPDs are powered by integrated combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) propulsion, controlled by an automated propulsion control system. The propulsion system integrates four Shaanxi 16 PC2.6 V400 diesel engines driving two controllable pitch propellers through twin shafts. Each engine produces a maximum power of 35,197 kW. The power-plant provides a maximum speed of 25kt and a range of 10,000nmi at 18kt. The maximum endurance of the vessel is 60 days.
The China State Shipbuilding and Trading Corp. consortium offered to build a modified Type 071 for the Royal Malaysian Navy. The Malaysians had a requirement for a 13,000-ton LPD; the Type 071 would cost a third of the similar US-built San Antonio-class LPD.
Ships of the class
|1||998||昆仑山 / Kunlun Shan||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||21 December 2006||30 November 2007||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|2||999||井冈山 / Jinggang Shan||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||18 November 2010||30 October 2011||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|3||989||长白山 / Changbai Shan||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||26 September 2011||23 September 2012||South Sea Fleet||Active|
|4||988||沂蒙山/Yimeng Shan||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||22 January 2015||1 February 2016||East Sea Fleet||Active|
|5||980||龙虎山/||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||15 June 2017||Fitting out|
|6||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding||20 January 2018||Fitting out|
- Tate, Andrew (16 June 2017). "China launches fifth LPD for PLAN". IHS Jane's 360. Archived from the original on 18 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "沪东中华：为中国海军打造"靓丽名片"". cssc.net.cn. China State Shipbuilding Corporation. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- United States Office of the Secretary of Defense (2017). Annual Report To Congress: Military and Security Developments Involving the People’s Republic of China 2017 (PDF) (Report). pp. 25–26. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- United States Navy Office of Naval Intelligence (2015). The PLA Navy: New Capabilities and Missions for the 21st Century (PDF) (Report). p. 17. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Type 071 Landing Platform Dock". globalsecurity.com. 11 June 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- United States Navy Office of Naval Intelligence (2015). PLA Navy Identification Guide (PDF) (Report). Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- delvestudio (19 September 2015). "不声不响海试了：海军第4艘071登陆舰建成出海(secondary sources, with other person's photographs)" (in Chinese). 新浪图片. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "中国第4艘071型登陆舰将于2月1日服役部署东海(secondary sources, by anonymous author)" (in Chinese). 新浪军事. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- IDEX 2007 Showcases China’s Productive Weapons Sector
- Type 071 Yuzhao class Amphibious Transport Dock (LPD)