September 3, 1970 |
Sarasota, FL, United States
|Cooking style||Japanese, and Fusion|
Cole began his culinary career as a dishwasher at a Japanese restaurant named Kyoto in downtown Austin, Texas. Attrition among the restaurant's staff gave Cole the opportunity to begin making sushi. He was attending the University of Texas Austin, with interests in painting and architecture. Cole worked three and a half years at Kyoto, from 1992 to 1996.
Starting in mid-1996, Cole apprenticed for six and a half years under Takehiko Fuse, owner/chef of Musashino Sushi Dokoro in Austin, TX. Cole also learned Japanese during this stint. Cole later continued his training at the sushi restaurant Bond Street in New York City.
On July 6, 2010, Cole opened his second restaurant, Uchiko (loosely translated meaning "offspring of Uchi") after a three-week soft opening period.
In July 2012, Cole opened his third restaurant, the second location of Uchi in Houston, Texas.
On May 31, 2013, Cole announced the late 2014/early 2015 opening of his fourth restaurant Uchi Dallas. The restaurant opened its doors on June 1, 2015.
In 2009, Tyson Cole was named one of Saveur's "Top 6 Texas Tastemakers." 
In 2011, Cole won the “Best Chef, Southwest” at the James Beard Foundation Awards.
- Ruggless, Ron (2004). "Tyson Cole: sushi chef puts raw talent to good use". Nation's Restaurant News.
- Best New Chefs - 2005 - Tyson Cole | Food & Wine
- A Conversation With Uchi's Tyson Cole - Good Health by SETON
- Orman, Shelley (August 26, 2007). "Tyson Cole wins over sushi lovers with innovative style".
- Tyson Cole of Uchi Restaurant
- TaxNetUSA: Travis County Property Information http://www.traviscad.org/travisdetail.php?theKey=101869
- CultureMap Dallas http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/food-drink/05-31-13-uchi-restaurant-tyson-cole-maple-avenue/
- "Best New Chefs 2005". Food and Wine. 2005. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "Morimoto vs. Cole". Food Network. March 2008. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "6 Texas Tastemakers". 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "The James Beard Foundation Awards" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. March 24, 2008. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "2009 James Beard Foundation Awards Restaurant and Chef Award Semifinalists" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. 2009. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "2010 James Beard Foundation Awards Restaurant and Chef Award Semifinalists" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. 2010. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "The James Beard Foundation Awards" (PDF). James Beard Foundation. May 9, 2011. Retrieved May 10, 2011.