October 30, 1984 |
Melfort, SK, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
St. Louis Blues
|NHL Draft||137th overall, 2003
Tyson Strachan (born October 30, 1984) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing with the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL). He was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the fifth round, 137th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
He played at Ohio State University for four seasons (2003–07), and with the Albany River Rats in the American Hockey League in 2006-07 for one game, before joining the Peoria Rivermen (AHL) and Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL) in 2007-08.
He was signed as a free agent by the St. Louis Blues on October 9, 2008. During the 2008–09 season he was recalled from the Peoria Rivermen under emergency conditions on December 16, 2008, after playing in two pre-season games with the Blues and 28 games for the Rivermen. He made his NHL debut on December 18, against the Washington Capitals at Washington and three nights later scored his first NHL Point (assist) on December 21 against the Boston Bruins, at St. Louis.
On July 12, 2011, Strachan agreed to one-year, two-way deal with Florida Panthers. On January, 23, 2012, he was called up to replace injured defenceman Dmitri Kulikov. On February 1, 2012, he recorded his 1st point as a Panther with an assist on a Mikael Samuelsson goal. He recorded his 1st career goal on February 12, 2012 against Evgeni Nabokov of the New York Islanders.
On July 8, 2013, Strachan agreed to one-year, two-way deal as a free agent with the Washington Capitals. He was originally assigned to AHL affiliate, the Hershey Bears, before he was recalled and featured in 18 games over the course of the 2013–14 season with the Capitals.
On July 3, 2014, Strachan signed as a free agent with the Buffalo Sabres on a one-year, two-way contract.
On July 2, 2015, having left the Sabres as a free agent, Strachan signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Minnesota Wild. He was primarily assigned to AHL affiliate, the Iowa Wild, appearing in 67 games and providing 13 points in the 2015–16 season. He was recalled by the Wild on numerous occasions however featured in 2 scoreless games.
As a free agent in the following summer, Strachan was unable to attain a NHL deal. On September 14, 2016, he agreed to a one-year AHL deal with the Rochester Americans, affiliate to his former club the Buffalo Sabres.
|2003–04||Ohio State University||CCHA||30||2||5||7||8||—||—||—||—||—|
|2004–05||Ohio State University||CCHA||31||1||4||5||32||—||—||—||—||—|
|2005–06||Ohio State University||CCHA||23||3||2||5||37||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Ohio State University||CCHA||35||7||11||18||55||—||—||—||—||—|
|2006–07||Albany River Rats||AHL||1||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Las Vegas Wranglers||ECHL||25||2||7||9||68||16||0||4||4||12|
|2008–09||St. Louis Blues||NHL||30||0||3||3||39||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||St. Louis Blues||NHL||8||0||2||2||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2010–11||St. Louis Blues||NHL||29||0||1||1||39||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||50||3||14||17||41||7||1||3||4||0|
|2012–13||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||24||1||8||9||22||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Tyler Strachan Official Player Page". NHL.com. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- "Blues Sign Free Agent Tyson Strachan". NHL.com. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- "Blues Recall Strachan From Peoria". NHL.com. 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2008-12-16.
- "St. Louis Blues - Recap: Boston @ St. Louis - 12/21/08". NHL.com. 2008-12-21. Retrieved 2008-12-21.
- "Panthers at Islanders boxscore". National Hockey League. 2012-02-12. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- "Caps sign Strachan, Leggio and Watkins to one-year deal". The Sports Network. 2013-07-08. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Sabres sign defenseman Tyson Strachan". Buffalo Sabres. 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "Wild agree to terms with Strachan and Knight". Minnesota Wild. 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Amerks sign defenseman Tyson Strachan to AHL deal". Rochester Americans. 2016-09-14. Retrieved 2016-09-14.