Tyuleniy Island (Sea of Okhotsk)
Location of Tyuleniy Island in the Sea of Okhotsk.
|Federal subject||Sakhalin Oblast|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
Tyuleniy Island is located 19 kilometres (12 mi) to the south of Cape Patience (Mys Terpeniya), off the coast of the southern end of the Terpeniya Peninsula of eastern Sakhalin island. It is 1.6 kilometres (0.99 mi) long and 19 metres (62 ft) wide.
There are many seals on Tyuleniy's shores and in its surrounding waters, hence its name which means "seal" in the Russian language. It was formerly called "Robben Island" from the German name for seal. 
Seabirds of different species are also abundant on Tyuleniy.
- Worldcitydb.com: Geographic data
- "楽天が運営するポータルサイト ： 【インフォシーク】Infoseek". infoseek.co.jp.
- "Tyuleniy island". earthplatform.com.
- Win.tue.nl: former Robben Island name
- "Russian seabirds" (PDF). dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca.
- "Isolation of tyuleniy virus from ticks ixodes (Ceratixodes) putus Pick.-camb. 1878 collected on Commodore Islands". springerlink.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tyuleniy Island.|
|This Sakhalin Oblast location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|