Uładzimir Arłou, known as U. A. Arlou (Belarusian: Уладзімір Аляксеевіч Арлоў, also known as Vladimir Aljakseevich Orlov, Russian:Владимир Алексеевич Орлов; born 25 August 1953 in Polotsk, Belarus, Soviet Union) is a Belarusian historian, writer, politician, and poet. He is chairman of the Belarusian PEN International.
Early life and career
Arłou attended in 1970 at middle school in Polotsk and in 1975, he studied history at the Belarusian State University in Minsk. He was a history teacher in a school in Novopolotsk from 1976 until 1986. He also worked as a contributing editor and correspondent for the newspaper Chimik (Хімік). Since 1988, he was working as a lector in the publishing company Mastazkaja Litaratura (Мастацкая літаратура). Since 1986, Arlou has been a member of Belorussian writer's association. In 1988, during the period of Perestroika, that he joined the Belarusian Popular Front (BPF Party). In 1989 he resigned from the CPSU. In 1992, he moved to the Belorussian Parliament twice as a deputy of BNP. Since 1997, Arlou has been working as an editor in the editoral board of the journal magazine Kryniza (Крыніца). His poems were published since 1976, first in the almanachs Blakitny lichtar (Блакітны ліхтар) and Milavisa (Мілавіца). Beside his poems among other things a historical ethnographic work. In 1986, he was awarded the Belarusian Lenin Komsomol Prize for his novel Dobry dsen, maya Shypshyna (Добры дзень, мая Шыпшына) and the Belarusian Democratic Republic 100th Jubilee Medal in 2019.
- Добры дзень, мая Шыпшына, Minsk 1986
- Асветніца з роду Ўсяслава, Minsk 1989
- Там, за дзвярыма: Вершы ў прозa, Minsk 1991
- Еўфрасіння Полацкая, Minsk 1992
- Таямніцы полацкай гісторыі, Minsk 1995
- Адкуль наш род, Minsk 1996, Vilnius 2000
- Божая кароўка з Пятай авеню, Minsk 1998
- Жыватворны сымбаль Бацькаўшчыны , Minsk 1998
- (862—1818): Падзеі. Даты, Ілюстрацыі, Vilnius 2001
- Краіна Беларусь, Slovakia 2003
- Łuba, W. (2000). Kto jest kim w Białorusi. Biblioteka Centrum Edukacji Obywatelskiej Polska-Białoruś (in Polish). Podlaski Instytut Wydawniczy. p. 195. ISBN 978-83-913780-0-7. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Алексіевіч, Антончык, Арлоў, Гарэцкі, Шушкевіч узнагароджаныя мэдалём «100 гадоў БНР». ФОТА". Радыё Свабода (in Belarusian). Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- "Europejski poeta wolności". Archived from the original on 12 April 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2010.