United States Attorney for the Northern District of California
The United States Attorney for the Northern District of California is the United States Attorney responsible for representing the federal government in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.
The current United States Attorney is David L. Anderson.
- Criminal Division: Responsible for prosecutions of federal crimes. It is the largest division; the largest sections within it are the Major Crimes Section (violent crime, bank robbery, gun crime, Social Security fraud, and criminal immigration violations); the White Collar Crime Section (White-collar crime, such as financial fraud, bank fraud, civil rights violations, health care fraud, and environmental crimes); the Securities Fraud Section (securities fraud in Silicon Valley and throughout the District); the Organized Crime Strike Force (organized crime, including Russian and Asian organized crime); and the Anti-Terrorism Task Force (prevention and prosecution of terrorist-related activity).
- Civil Division: Responsible for representing the United States in civil suits. The Civil Division includes the Civil Defensive Unit, the Affirmative Civil Enforcement Unit, the Financial Litigation Unit, the Environment and Natural Resources Unit and the Immigration Unit.
- Tax Division: Responsible for prosecuting federal criminal tax violations and representing the United States in civil tax suits. Because of the complexity of the Internal Revenue Code, the Tax Division was created to specialize in tax-related litigation.
- Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF): Responsible for prosecution of international and violent drug organizations. Due to San Francisco's designation as a "Core City," the San Francisco OCDETF Division oversees and coordinates OCDETF prosecutions in the Northwestern United States.
- Administrative Division: Responsible for providing a full range of office support and employee services.