United States District Court for the District of Columbia
|United States District Court for the District of Columbia
|Appeals to||District of Columbia Circuit|
|Chief judge||Beryl A. Howell|
The United States District Court for the District of Columbia (in case citations, D.D.C.) is a federal district court. Appeals from the District are taken to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (except for patent claims and claims against the U.S. government under the Tucker Act, which are appealed to the Federal Circuit).
The court was established by Congress in 1863 as the Supreme Court of the District of Columbia, replacing the abolished circuit and district courts of the District of Columbia that had been in place since 1801. The court consisted of four justices, including a chief justice, and was granted the same powers and jurisdiction as the earlier circuit court. Any of the justices could convene a United States circuit court or a local criminal court. In 1936, Congress renamed the court the District Court for the District of Columbia. Its current name was adopted in 1948, and from then on justices were known as judges.
Originally housed in the former District of Columbia City Hall, the court now sits in the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse located at 333 Constitution Avenue, Northwest, Washington, D.C. The District has no local district attorney or equivalent, and so local prosecutorial matters also fall into the jurisdiction of the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia. Assistant United States Attorneys (AUSAs) are tasked with prosecution of not only federal crimes but also crimes that would normally be left to the state prosecutor's discretion. Because of this the District has the largest U.S. Attorney's Office in the nation, with around 250 AUSAs.
|#||Title||Judge||Duty station||Born||Term of service||Appointed by|
|96||Chief Judge||Beryl A. Howell||Washington, D.C.||1956||2010–present||2016–present||
|85||District Judge||Emmet G. Sullivan||Washington, D.C.||1947||1994–present||
|88||District Judge||Colleen Kollar-Kotelly||Washington, D.C.||1943||1997–present||
|94||District Judge||Richard J. Leon||Washington, D.C.||1949||2002–present||
|98||District Judge||James E. Boasberg||Washington, D.C.||1963||2011–present||
|99||District Judge||Amy Berman Jackson||Washington, D.C.||1954||2011–present||
|100||District Judge||Rudolph Contreras||Washington, D.C.||1962||2012–present||
|101||District Judge||Ketanji Brown Jackson||Washington, D.C.||1970||2013–present||
|102||District Judge||Christopher Reid Cooper||Washington, D.C.||1966||2014–present||
|103||District Judge||Tanya S. Chutkan||Washington, D.C.||1962||2014–present||
|104||District Judge||Randolph D. Moss||Washington, D.C.||1961||2014–present||
|105||District Judge||Amit Priyavadan Mehta||Washington, D.C.||1971||2014–present||
|106||District Judge||vacant||Washington, D.C.||—||—||—||—||—|
|107||District Judge||vacant||Washington, D.C.||—||—||—||—||—|
|108||District Judge||vacant||Washington, D.C.||—||—||—||—||—|
|74||Senior District Judge||Joyce Hens Green||inactive||1928||1979–1995||
|77||Senior District Judge||Thomas F. Hogan||Washington, D.C.||1938||1982–2008||2001–2008||2008–present||Reagan|
|81||Senior District Judge||Royce C. Lamberth||Washington, D.C.||1943||1987–2013||2008–2013||2013–present||Reagan|
|83||Senior District Judge||Paul L. Friedman||Washington, D.C.||1944||1994–2009||
|84||Senior District Judge||Gladys Kessler||Washington, D.C.||1938||1994–2007||
|90||Senior District Judge||Richard W. Roberts||inactive||1953||1998–2016||2013–2016||2016–present||Clinton|
|91||Senior District Judge||Ellen Segal Huvelle||Washington, D.C.||1948||1999–2014||
|92||Senior District Judge||Reggie Walton||Washington, D.C.||1949||2001–2015||
|93||Senior District Judge||John D. Bates||Washington, D.C.||1946||2001–2014||
|95||Senior District Judge||Rosemary M. Collyer||Washington, D.C.||1945||2002–2016||
Vacancies and pending nominations
|Seat||Seat last held by||Vacancy reason||Date of vacancy||Nominee||Date of nomination|
|15||Reggie Walton||Senior Status||December 31, 2015||Florence Y. Pan||April 28, 2016|
|3||Richard W. Roberts||Senior Status||March 16, 2016||Todd E. Edelman||April 28, 2016|
|2||Rosemary M. Collyer||Senior Status||May 18, 2016||–||–|
|#||Judge||State||Born–died||Active service||Chief Judge||Senior status||Appointed by||Reason for
|1||Cartter, David KelloggDavid Kellogg Cartter||DC||1812–1887||1863–1887||1863–1887||—||Lincoln, Lincoln||death|
|2||Fisher, George P.George P. Fisher||DC||1817–1899||1863–1870||—||—||Lincoln, Lincoln||resignation|
|3||Olin, Abram B.Abram B. Olin||DC||1808–1879||1863–1879||—||—||Lincoln, Lincoln||retirement|
|4||Wylie, AndrewAndrew Wylie||DC||1814–1905||1863–1885||—||—||Lincoln, Lincoln||retirement|
|5||Humphreys, David CampbellDavid Campbell Humphreys||DC||1817–1879||1870–1879||—||—||Grant, Grant||death|
|6||MacArthur, Sr., ArthurArthur MacArthur, Sr.||DC||1815–1896||1870–1887||—||—||Grant, Grant||retirement|
|7||Hagner, Alexander BurtonAlexander Burton Hagner||DC||1826–1915||1879–1903||—||—||Hayes, Hayes||retirement|
|8||Cox, Walter SmithWalter Smith Cox||DC||1826–1902||1879–1899||—||—||Hayes, Hayes||retirement|
|9||James, Charles PinckneyCharles Pinckney James||DC||1818–1899||1879–1892||—||—||Hayes, Hayes||retirement|
|10||Merrick, William MatthewsWilliam Matthews Merrick||DC||1818–1889||1885–1889||—||—||Cleveland, Cleveland||death|
|11||Montgomery, Martin V.Martin V. Montgomery||DC||1840–1898||1887–1892||—||—||Cleveland, Cleveland||resignation|
|12||Bingham, Edward FranklinEdward Franklin Bingham||DC||1828–1907||1887–1903||1887–1903||—||Cleveland, Cleveland||retirement|
|13||Bradley, Andrew CoyleAndrew Coyle Bradley||DC||1844–1902||1889–1902||—||—||Harrison, B.B. Harrison||death|
|14||McComas, Louis E.Louis E. McComas||DC||1846–1907||1892–1899||—||—||Harrison, B.B. Harrison||resignation|
|15||Cole, Charles CleavesCharles Cleaves Cole||DC||1841–1905||1893–1901||—||—||Harrison, B.B. Harrison||resignation|
|16||Clabaugh, Harry M.Harry M. Clabaugh||DC||1856–1914||1899–1903||—||—||McKinley, McKinley||reappointment|
|16.1||Clabaugh, Harry M.Harry M. Clabaugh||DC||1856–1914||1903–1914||1903–1914||—||Roosevelt, T.T. Roosevelt||death|
|17||Barnard, JobJob Barnard||DC||1844–1923||1899–1914||—||—||McKinley, McKinley||retirement|
|18||Anderson, Thomas H.Thomas H. Anderson||DC||1848–1916||1901–1916||—||—||McKinley, McKinley||death|
|19||Gould, Ashley MulgraveAshley Mulgrave Gould||DC||1859–1921||1902–1921||—||—||Roosevelt, T.T. Roosevelt||death|
|20||Pritchard, Jeter ConnellyJeter Connelly Pritchard||DC||1857–1921||1903–1904||—||—||Roosevelt, T.T. Roosevelt||reappointment|
|21||Wright, Daniel ThewDaniel Thew Wright||DC||1864–1943||1903–1914||—||—||Roosevelt, T.T. Roosevelt||resignation|
|22||Stafford, Wendell PhillipsWendell Phillips Stafford||DC||1861–1953||1904–1931||—||—||Roosevelt, T.T. Roosevelt||retirement|
|23||Covington, James HarryJames Harry Covington||DC||1870–1942||1914–1918||1914–1918||—||Wilson, Wilson||resignation|
|24||McCoy, Walter I.Walter I. McCoy||DC||1859–1933||1914–1918||—||—||Wilson, Wilson||reappointment|
|24.1||McCoy, Walter I.Walter I. McCoy||DC||1859–1933||1918–1929||1918–1929||—||Wilson, Wilson||retirement|
|25||Siddons, Frederick LincolnFrederick Lincoln Siddons||DC||1864–1931||1915–1931||—||—||Wilson, Wilson||death|
|26||Hitz, WilliamWilliam Hitz||DC||1872–1935||1916–1931||—||—||Wilson, Wilson||reappointment|
|27||Bailey, Thomas JenningsThomas Jennings Bailey||DC||1867–1963||1918–1950||—||1950–1963||Wilson, Wilson||death|
|28||Hoehling, Jr., Adolph A.Adolph A. Hoehling, Jr.||DC||1868–1941||1921–1927||—||—||Harding, Harding||resignation|
|29||Gordon, PeytonPeyton Gordon||DC||1870–1946||1928–1941||—||1941–1946||Coolidge, Coolidge||death|
|30||Wheat, Alfred AdamsAlfred Adams Wheat||DC||1867–1943||1929–1930||—||—||Hoover, Hoover||reappointment|
|30.1||Wheat, Alfred AdamsAlfred Adams Wheat||DC||1867–1943||1930–1941||1930–1941||1941–1943||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|31||Adkins, Jesse CorcoranJesse Corcoran Adkins||DC||1879–1955||1930–1946||—||1946–1955||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|32||Luhring, Oscar RaymondOscar Raymond Luhring||DC||1879–1944||1930–1944||—||—||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|33||Cox, Joseph WinstonJoseph Winston Cox||DC||1875–1939||1930–1939||—||—||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|34||Proctor, James McPhersonJames McPherson Proctor||DC||1882–1953||1931–1948||—||—||Hoover, Hoover||reappointment|
|35||Letts, F. DickinsonF. Dickinson Letts||DC||1875–1965||1931–1961||1958–1959||1961–1965||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|36||O'Donoghue, Daniel WilliamDaniel William O'Donoghue||DC||1876–1948||1931–1946||—||1946–1948||Hoover, Hoover||death|
|37||Laws, Bolitha JamesBolitha James Laws||DC||1891–1958||1938–1945||—||—||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||reappointment|
|37.1||Laws, Bolitha JamesBolitha James Laws||DC||1891–1958||1945–1948||1945–1948||—||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||reappointment|
|37.2||Laws, Bolitha JamesBolitha James Laws||DC||1891–1958||1948–1958||1948–1958||—||operation of law||death|
|38||Goldsborough, Thomas AlanThomas Alan Goldsborough||DC||1877–1951||1939–1951||—||—||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|39||Morris, James WardJames Ward Morris||DC||1890–1960||1939–1960||—||—||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|40||Pine, David AndrewDavid Andrew Pine||DC||1891–1970||1940–1965||1959–1961||1965–1970||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|41||McGuire, Matthew FrancisMatthew Francis McGuire||DC||1898–1986||1941–1966||1961–1966||1966–1986||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|42||Eicher, Edward C.Edward C. Eicher||DC||1878–1944||1942–1944||1942–1944||—||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|43||Schweinhaut, Henry AlbertHenry Albert Schweinhaut||DC||1902–1970||1944–1956||—||1956–1970||Roosevelt, F.F. Roosevelt||death|
|44||Holtzoff, AlexanderAlexander Holtzoff||DC||1886–1969||1945–1967||—||1967–1969||Truman, Truman||death|
|45||Keech, Richmond BowlingRichmond Bowling Keech||DC||1896–1986||1946–1966||1966–1966||1966–1986||Truman, Truman||death|
|46||Curran, Edward MatthewEdward Matthew Curran||DC||1903–1988||1946–1971||1966–1971||1971–1988||Truman, Truman||death|
|47||Tamm, Edward AllenEdward Allen Tamm||DC||1906–1985||1948–1965||—||—||Truman, Truman||reappointment|
|48||Kirkland, James RobertJames Robert Kirkland||DC||1903–1958||1949–1958||—||—||Truman, Truman||death|
|49||Matthews, Burnita SheltonBurnita Shelton Matthews||DC||1894–1988||1949–1968||—||1968–1988||Truman, Truman||death|
|50||McLaughlin, Charles F.Charles F. McLaughlin||DC||1987–1976||1949–1964||—||1964–1976||Truman, Truman||death|
|51||Bastian, Walter MaximillianWalter Maximillian Bastian||DC||1891–1975||1950–1954||—||—||Truman, Truman||reappointment|
|52||Youngdahl, LutherLuther Youngdahl||DC||1896–1978||1951–1966||—||1966–1978||Truman, Truman||death|
|53||McGarraghy, Joseph CharlesJoseph Charles McGarraghy||DC||1897–1975||1954–1967||—||1967–1975||Eisenhower, Eisenhower||death|
|54||Sirica, JohnJohn Sirica||DC||1904–1992||1957–1977||1971–1974||1977–1992||Eisenhower, Eisenhower||death|
|55||Hart, Jr., George LuzerneGeorge Luzerne Hart, Jr.||DC||1905–1984||1958–1979||1974–1975||1979–1984||Eisenhower, Eisenhower||death|
|56||Walsh, Leonard PatrickLeonard Patrick Walsh||DC||1904–1980||1959–1971||—||1971–1980||Eisenhower, Eisenhower||death|
|57||Jones, William BlakelyWilliam Blakely Jones||DC||1907–1979||1962–1977||1975–1977||1977–1979||Kennedy, Kennedy||death|
|58||Robinson III, Spottswood WilliamSpottswood William Robinson III||DC||1916–1998||1964–1966||—||—||Johnson, Johnson||reappointment|
|59||Corcoran, Howard FrancisHoward Francis Corcoran||DC||1906–1989||1965–1977||—||1977–1989||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|60||Bryant, William B.William B. Bryant||DC||1911–2005||1965–1982||1977–1981||1982–2005||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|61||Gasch, OliverOliver Gasch||DC||1906–1999||1965–1981||—||1981–1999||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|62||Robinson, Jr., Aubrey EugeneAubrey Eugene Robinson, Jr.||DC||1922–2000||1966–1992||1982–1992||1992–2000||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|63||Smith Jr., John LewisJohn Lewis Smith Jr.||DC||1912–1992||1966–1983||1981–1982||1983–1992||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|64||Waddy, Joseph CorneliusJoseph Cornelius Waddy||DC||1911–1978||1967–1978||—||—||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|65||Gesell, GerhardGerhard Gesell||DC||1910–1993||1967–1993||—||1993–1993||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|66||Green, June LazenbyJune Lazenby Green||DC||1914–2001||1968–1984||—||1984–2001||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|67||Pratt, John H.John H. Pratt||DC||1910–1995||1968–1989||—||1989–1995||Johnson, Johnson||death|
|68||Parker, Barrington D.Barrington D. Parker||DC||1915–1993||1969–1985||—||1985–1993||Nixon, Nixon||death|
|69||Richey, Charles RobertCharles Robert Richey||DC||1923–1997||1971–1997||—||1997–1997||Nixon, Nixon||death|
|70||Flannery, Thomas AquinasThomas Aquinas Flannery||DC||1918–2007||1971–1985||—||1985–2007||Nixon, Nixon||death|
|71||Oberdorfer, Louis F.Louis F. Oberdorfer||DC||1919–2013||1977–1992||—||1992–2013||Carter, Carter||death|
|72||Greene, Harold H.Harold H. Greene||DC||1923–2000||1978–1995||—||1995–2000||Carter, Carter||death|
|73||Penn, John GarrettJohn Garrett Penn||DC||1932–2007||1979–1998||1992–1997||1998–2007||Carter, Carter||death|
|75||Johnson, Norma HollowayNorma Holloway Johnson||DC||1932–2011||1980–2001||1997–2001||2001–2003||Carter, Carter||retirement|
|76||Jackson, Thomas PenfieldThomas Penfield Jackson||DC||1937–2013||1982–2002||—||2002–2004||Reagan, Reagan||retirement|
|78||Harris, Stanley S.Stanley S. Harris||DC||1927–present||1983–1996||—||1996–2001||Reagan, Reagan||retirement|
|79||Revercomb, George HughesGeorge Hughes Revercomb||DC||1929–1993||1985–1993||—||—||Reagan, Reagan||death|
|80||Sporkin, StanleyStanley Sporkin||DC||1932–present||1985–1999||—||1999–2000||Reagan, Reagan||retirement|
|82||Boudin, MichaelMichael Boudin||DC||1939–present||1990–1992||—||—||Bush, G.H.W.G.H.W. Bush||resignation|
|86||Urbina, Ricardo M.Ricardo M. Urbina||DC||1946–present||1994–2011||—||2011–2012||Clinton, Clinton||retirement|
|87||Robertson, JamesJames Robertson||DC||1938–present||1994–2008||—||2008–2010||Clinton, Clinton||retirement|
|89||Kennedy Jr., Henry HaroldHenry Harold Kennedy Jr.||DC||1948–present||1997–2011||
|97||Wilkins, Robert L.Robert L. Wilkins||DC||1963–present||2010–2014||
Succession of seats
- Associate Justices Clabaugh, McCoy, Wheat and Laws were elevated to Chief Justice.
- Chief Justice Laws was assigned to the new Seat 13 by operation of law upon the abolition of the Chief Justice Seat 1.
- Appointed Director of the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts on June 11, 2013, by Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts. He retains his commission as a United States District Court Judge. The appointment takes effect July 1, 2013. Kathleen Arberg (11 June 2013). "Press Releases - 06/11/13 - Supreme Court of the United States". The Supreme Court of the United States. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Recess appointment; Wylie was formally nominated January 5, 1864 and was confirmed January 20, receiving his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; James was formally nominated on December 1, 1879, confirmed by the Senate December 10, 1879 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; Merrick was formally nominated on December 14, 1885, confirmed by the Senate March 15, 1856 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; Montgomery was formally nominated on December 20, 1887, confirmed by the Senate January 26, 1888 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; Montgomery was formally nominated on December 20, 1887, confirmed by the Senate January 23, 1888 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment;McComas was formally nominated on December 6, 1892, confirmed by the Senate January 25, 1893 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment;Clabaugh was formally nominated on November 10, 1903, confirmed by the Senate November 16, 1903 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; Barnard was formally nominated December 11, 1899, confirmed by the Senate December 19 and received his commission the same day
- Recess appointment; Anderson was formally nominated December 5, 1901, confirmed by the Senate February 4, 1902 and received his commission February 6, 1902
- Recess appointment; Stafford was formally nominated December 6, 1904, confirmed by the Senate December 13 and received his commission the same day
- Recess appointment; Hitz was formally nominated December 15, 1916, confirmed by the Senate January 2, 1917 and received his commission the same day.
- Recess appointment; Letts was formally nominated December 15, 1931, confirmed by the Senate February 17, 1932 and received his commission February 20, 1932.
- Recess appointment; O'Donoghue was formally nominated December 15, 1931, confirmed by the Senate January 26, 1932 and received his commission February 23, 1932.
- Recess appointment; Keech was formally nominated January 8, 1947, confirmed by the Senate January 22 and received his commission January 24.
- Recess appointment; Curran was formally nominated January 8, 1947, confirmed by the Senate February 3 and received his commission February 5.
- Recess appointment; Tamm was formally nominated January 13, 1949, confirmed by the Senate March 29 and received his commission April 1.
- Recess appointment; Kirkland was formally nominated January 5, 1950, confirmed by the Senate March 8 and received his commission March 9.
- Recess appointment; Matthews was formally nominated January 5, 1950, confirmed by the Senate April 4, 1950 and received his commission April 7, 1950.
- Recess appointment; McLaughlin was formally nominated January 5, 1950, confirmed by the Senate February 27, 1950 and received his commission March 1, 1950.
- Recess appointment; Bastian was formally nominated November 27, 1950, confirmed by the Senate December 14, 1950 and received his commission December 22, 1950.
- Recess appointment; Hart was formally nominated January 17, 1959, confirmed by the Senate September 9 and received his commission September 10.
- Recess appointment; Robinson was formally nominated February 3, 1964 confirmed by the Senate July 1, 1964 and received his commission July 2, 1964.