U.S. Route 227
|Length||120 mi (193 km)|
|Existed||1928 – 1972|
|South end||US 25 / US 421 in Richmond|
| I-64 at Winchester
US 27 / US 68 / US 460 in Paris
I-75 near Georgetown
US 127 at Owenton
|North end||US 42 in Carrollton|
US 227 began in Richmond, intersecting US 25 and US 421 as well as Kentucky Route 52. The route headed north to the Kentucky River at Fort Boonesborough. US 227 then entered Winchester, intersecting US 60 and Kentucky Route 15 and Kentucky Route 89 before continuing north and intersecting Kentucky Route 13. In Paris, the highway intersected US 27 and US 60 before running concurrently with US 460 west through Centreville and across Kentucky Route 922 into Georgetown. There, the highway briefly ran concurrently with US 62, and intersected US 25, before both US 460 and US 25 split off and US 227 continued northwest through Stamping Ground.
In Owen County, the highway went through Owenton, Long Ridge, and New Liberty, intersecting several routes along the way, and running concurrently with Kentucky Route 22 near Owenton. US 227 had its northern terminus in Carrollton, Kentucky, at US 42 near the Ohio River.
The current fate of the road is:
- Kentucky Route 388 from Richmond to near Fort Boonesborough
- Kentucky Route 627 from near Fort Boonesborough to Paris via Winchester
- overlapped U.S. Route 460 from Paris to Georgetown
- Kentucky Route 227 from Georgetown to Owenton
- overlapped U.S. Route 127 from Owenton to north of Long Ridge
- overlapped Kentucky Route 36 from north of Long Ridge to New Liberty
- Kentucky Route 227 from New Liberty to Carrollton
The list below includes most intersections of US 227 before its 1972 decommission.
|Madison||Richmond||0||0.0||US 25 / US 421 / KY 52||Southern terminus; southern end of US 25 and KY 52 concurrencies|
|KY 52||Northern end of KY 52 concurrency|
|US 25||Northern end of US 25 concurrency|
|Clark||Winchester||22||35||US 60 west / KY 89||Southern end of US 60 concurrency|
|US 60 east||Northern end of US 60 concurrency|
|I-64 – Lexington, Ashland||Interchange|
|Paris||38||61||US 27 / US 68 / US 460||Southern end of US 27 and US 460 concurrencies|
|||US 27||Northern end of US 27 concurrency|
|||US 62||Southern end of US 62 concurrency|
|Georgetown||I-75 south – Lexington||I-75; southbound entrance and northbound exit|
|||US 62||Northern end of US 62 concurrency|
|||US 460||Northern end of US 460 concurrency|
|||KY 22 east||Southern end of KY 22 concurrency|
|Owenton||90||140||KY 22 west||Northern end of KY 22 concurrency|
|Long Ridge||KY 36|
|New Liberty||KY 47|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Official Kentucky Department of Highways Road Map (PDF) (Map). Cartography by L. Vaughn and R. Carpenter. Kentucky Department of Relations. 1957. Retrieved September 7, 2011.
- Official Kentucky Department of Highways Road Map (PDF) (Map). Cartography by L. Vaughn and R. Carpenter. Kentucky Department of Relations. 1968. Retrieved September 7, 2011.