U. N. Biswas
|U. N. Biswas|
|Minister for Backward Class Welfare|
Assumed office |
May 20, 2011
Assumed office |
May 13, 2011
|Political party||All India Trinamool Congress|
Upendranath Biswas (Bengali: উপেন্দ্রনাথ বিশ্বাস) or Upen Biswas or simply U. N. Biswas is an Indian politician and the present Minister for Backward Class Welfare in the Government of West Bengal. He is also an MLA, elected from the Bagda constituency in the West Bengal state assembly election, 2011. He retired as the additional director of India's Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which he served as an officer of the Indian Police Service (West Bengal cadre, 1968 batch). He first became a news-maker by relentlessly pursuing former Chief Ministers of Bihar, Jagannath Mishra and Lalu Prasad Yadav in the Rs. 950 crore Fodder scam as the joint Director (East), CBI.
He joined the West Bengal Police as an IPS officer in 1968, serving as a DySP in charge of an EFR Company, a Subdivision, Addl SP of District HQ, SP of West Dinajpore District, SSP in the West Bengal CID, and ss the joint director in CBI, his honest investigation report to the court was changed with a milder one written by his deputy Ranjit Sinha by the head of the CBI, Joginder Singh to please the political establishment, for which the CBI received strictures from the court.
He is also known as a caste historian.
His efficiency and honesty were always on the top. He was involved in detecting and resolving many scams when he held the Office of the Joint Director, Central Bureau of Investigation a.k.a. CBI. The most popular of these was perhaps the scam for Chara Ghotala in which he caught the corrupt politician Lalu Prasad Yadav and sent him to jail also.
Even after threats to his life from different politicians,he did his duties perfectly up to the end. After retirement from his job, he joined the All India Trinamool Congress party and won from Bagda in Bongaon subdivision.
- "U.N. Biswas retires". The Hindu. Feb 1, 2002. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Cbi Blasted For Scuttling Fodder Scam Probe". Business Standard. October 5, 1996. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "A CBI Director's shady past". Niti Central. April 27, 2013. Archived from the original on June 1, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Biswas asked CBI to seek army help: home minister". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Biswas was in a hurry to arrest Laloo: Gupta". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Staying On". Outlook (India). Sep 8, 1997. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "'Bengal Hasn't Produced A Jagjivan Ram Or Even A Mayawati'". Outlook (India). Aug 10, 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- Mamata allots portfolios, keeps key ministries
- All the Didi's men
|This article about a West Bengal politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|