UAE Healthy Kidney 10K
|UAE Healthy Kidney 10K|
The mass run in Central Park in 2007
|Location||New York City, United States|
|Official site||UAE Healthy Kidney 10K|
The UAE Healthy Kidney 10K is an annual road running event over 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) that takes place in May in New York City in the United States. The event features both an elite-level men's race and a general mass race for fun runners. Almost 8000 runners take part in the event each year. Its course is situated entirely within Manhattan's Central Park. It is one of two major annual 10K races held at the venue by the New York Road Runners Club, alongside the women-only New York Mini 10K.
The event was launched in May 2005 by New York Road Runners with the sponsorship of the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates. Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, a former president of the country, received treatment and a kidney transplant at the Cleveland Clinic in 2000. He lived until November 2004 and the event was created in his honour soon after, with proceeds from the race going towards the National Kidney Foundation.
The course for the race is a single-looped circuit on the paths and roads within the park, comprising a little over one full lap of the park in a clockwise direction. Runners start in the south-west corner of Central Park, heading north past Sheep Meadow and The Ramble and Lake via West Park Drive. It loops southwards past Harlem Meer at the 5 km (3-mile) mark and goes south on East Park Drive, passing the Reservoir and Great Lawn and Turtle Pond. The course reaches the 5-mile mark just before Central Park's Bandshell. Runners turn back north after Wollman Rink, reach the 6-mile mark at the start line, then cross the finish line near the Tavern on the Green.
The first two editions of the men's race were won by Craig Mottram. Dathan Ritzenhein became the first American to win the race and Patrick Makau became the first African the year after. Ethiopians Tadese Tola and Gebre Gebremariam ran course records under 28 minutes to win in 2009 and 2010. Phoenix Kipruto of Kenia set the course record at 27:08 minutes in 2018, the fastest record eligible 10k ever run on US soil. The event does not actively invite an elite women's field, due to the proximity of June's New York Mini 10K women's race, but elite level female athletes who are resident in the area typically take part. Ethiopia's Senbere Teferi holds the women's course record of 30:59 minutes, set in 2019.
Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|1st||2005||Craig Mottram (AUS)||28:27.3||Alemtsehay Misganaw Abate (ETH)||35:10|
|2nd||2006||Craig Mottram (AUS)||28:13||Alemtsehay Misganaw Abate (ETH)||34:48|
|3rd||2007||Dathan Ritzenhein (USA)||28:07.2||Alemtsehay Misganaw Abate (ETH)||35:31|
|4th||2008||Patrick Makau Musyoki (KEN)||28:18.4||Aziza Aliyu Abate (ETH)||33:32|
|5th||2009||Tadese Tola (ETH)||27:48||Aziza Aliyu Abate (ETH)||33:38|
|6th||2010||Gebre Gebremariam (ETH)||27:42||Bizunesh Deba (ETH)||33:09|
|7th||2011||Leonard Patrick Komon (KEN)||27:35||Bizunesh Deba (ETH)||33:39|
|8th||2012||Daniele Meucci (ITA)||28:28||Bekelech Bedada (ETH)||34:54|
|9th||2013||Leonard Patrick Komon (KEN)||27:58||Aziza Aliyu Abate (ETH)||34:34|
|10th||2014||Stephen Sambu (KEN)||27:39||Joyce Chepkirui (KEN)||31:17|
|11th||2015||Ben True (USA)||28:13||Joyce Chepkirui (KEN)||32:33|
|12th||2016||Lucas Rotich (KEN)||28:29||Cynthia Limo (KEN)||31:39|
|13th||2017||Sam Chelanga (USA)||28:21||Mamitu Daska (ETH)||31:37|
|14th||2018||Rhonex Kipruto (KEN)||27:08||Buze Diriba (ETH)||32:04|
|15th||2019||Mathew Kimeli (KEN)||27:45||Senbere Teferi (ETH)||30:59|
- UAE Healthy Kidney 10K. NYRR. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Grotewold, Sam (May 2009) Gebremariam Sets New Central Park Record at Healthy Kidney. Running Times. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- "Sheikh Undergoes Kidney Transplant". Toledo Blade. 2000-08-29. pp. 27 of 27. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- 2012 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K. National Kidney Foundation. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- 2011 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Race Preview. NYRR. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- 2012 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Course Map. New York Road Runners. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Finn, Richard (2006-05-20). Mottram breezes to victory, but narrowly misses Central Park 10 km record. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Fortune, Edward (2007-05-19). Ritzenhein wins in Central Park. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Calderwood, Stuart (2008-05-17). In U.S. debut, Makau triumphant in Central Park. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Wallack, Rachel (2009-05-16). Tola smashes Central Park 10k record. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Gebremariam clocks Central Park 10 Km record. IAAF (2010-05-15). Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- List of winners
- Healthy Kidney 10 km. Association of Road Racing Statisticians (2011-05-23). Retrieved on 2012-05-19.
- Official website at New York Road Runners
- Searchable results, including all finisher counts, at New York Road Runners