|Società cooperativa per azioni (cooperative limited by shares)
|Traded as||BIT: UBI|
|Victor Massiah (CEO),
Franco Polotti (Chairman of the management board),
Andrea Moltrasio (Chairman of the supervisory board)
|Products||Retail banking, insurance, asset management|
Number of employees
Unione di Banche Italiane S.c.p.A., branded as UBI Banca, is an Italian banking Group, the fifth largest in Italy by number of branches, It was formed on 1 April 2007 from the merger of the Banche Popolari Italiane (BPU) and Banca Lombarda (BL) banking groups.
UBI Banca shares are listed on the Milan Borsa and are included in the FTSE MIB index.
The UBI Banca Group was formed on 1 April 2007 from the merger of the BPU Banca Group and the Banca Lombarda Group. The Group operates mainly on the retail market and is present in most regions of Italy, although its focus is primarily on northern Italy.
The Group has adopted a two tier system of management and oversight (pursuant to articles 2409g and following of the Italian Civil Code) with two boards, a supervisory board and a management board.
The parent company has a co-operative articles of association with headquarters in Bergamo. UBI Banca had share capital of €2,254,371,430 on 31 December 2014, consisting of 901,748,572 ordinary shares.
Current legislation on Italian ‘popular’ co-operative banks (article 30 of the consolidated banking law) limits the percentage interest of the share capital that may be owned by both registered and unregistered shareholders to 1% of the share capital. A reference to this is made in article 18 of this bank’s articles of association. This limit on the size of shareholdings does not apply to collective investment companies, which are subject to the limits laid down in their own rules. Each registered shareholder can cast only one vote, regardless of the number of shares held.
Article 120 of the consolidated finance law states that persons holding more than 2% of the share capital in a share issuer which has Italy as its member state of origin must notify this to the company and to the Consob (Italian securities market authority). On the basis of Consob (Italian securities market authority)  communications, on 5 March 2015 the following investors possessed shareholdings of greater than 2%:
- Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Cuneo (2.278%)
- Silchester International Investors (4.903%)
In November 2013, the Comprehensive Assessment carried out by the European Central Bank (ECB) in co-operation with the National Competent Authorities was commenced. This Assessment involved UBI Banca and other 129 European institutions, and came before the introduction of the Single Supervisory Mechanism to which UBI Banca is also subject since 4th November 2014.
According to the results that were made known by ECB on October 26th, UBI Banca passed the Comprehensive Assessment with capital levels above the minimum thresholds required in all scenarios, which confirms the solidity and quality of the Group’s assets, and positions UBI Banca among the best at Italian system level without having to resort to any capital strengthening measures.
UBI Banca data follow:
- AQR impact: -44 bps: a post-AQR CET1 of 11.82% 
- CET1 ratio in 2016 (inclusive of AQR impact) in the baseline scenario of the stress test: 10.88% (compared with a minimum of 8%)
- CET1 ratio in 2016 (inclusive of AQR impact) in the adverse scenario of the stress test: 8.20% (compared with a minimum of 5.5%)
The group reported the following ratios at 31 December 2014 a common equity tier one capital ratio of 12.33%, a Tier 1 of 12,33%, a Total Capital Ratio of 15,28%; regardind liquidity, a liquidity coverage ratio of greater than one and a net stable funding ratio of greater than one, while its Basel 3 financial leverage ratio was 5.78%.
The group is composed of the following companies: :
- eight “branch network” banks:
- Banca Popolare di Bergamo, with its headquarters in Bergamo, it has a market presence mainly in Lombardy, in the provinces of Bergamo, Como, Lecco, Monza, Brianza and Varese, but it is also present in the region of Latium
- Banco di Brescia, with its headquarters in Brescia, it has a market presence in Lombardy in the provinces of Brescia and Lodi and also in the regions of Latium, Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia
- Banca Popolare Commercio e Industria, with its headquarters in Milan, it has a market presence in Lombardy in the provinces of Milan and Pavia and also in the regions of Emilia Romagna and Latium
- Banca Regionale Europea, with its headquarters in Turin, it has a market presence mainly in Piedmont and in Liguria
- Banca Popolare di Ancona, with its headquarters at Jesi (Ancona), it has a market presence in the regions of the Marches, Emilia Romagna, Umbria, Abruzzo, Molise, Campania and Latium
- Banca Carime, with its headquarters at Cosenza, it has a market presence in the regions of Apulia, Campania, Basilicata and Calabria
- Banca di Valle Camonica, with its headquarters at Breno (Brescia), it has a market presence in Lombardy in the provinces of Brescia, Bergamo, Como and Sondrio
- UBI Banca Private Investment (financial advisor network), with its headquarters in Brescia, it operates through its network of financial advisors in the regions of Lombardy, Piedmont, Liguria, Tuscany, Latium, Umbria, Abruzzo, Apulia and Campania
- an on-line bank, IWBank
- companies which operate in the following:
- salary-backed personal loans: Prestitalia
- asset management: UBI Pramerica
- factoring: UBI Factor
- leasing: UBI Leasing
- life bancassurance: Aviva Vita Spa, Lombarda Vita, and Aviva Assicurazioni Vita Spa
- one service company:
UBI Banca has adopted a two tier governance system with two boards, a supervisory board and a management board.
The Supervisory Board
- Chairman Andrea Moltrasio
- Senior Deputy Chairman Mario Cera
- Board members:
- Armando Santus (Deputy Chairman)
- Alberto Folonari (Deputy Chairman)
- Gian Luigi Gola
- Lorenzo Renato Guerini
- Alfredo Gusmini
- Sergio Pivato
- Mario Mazzoleni
- Federico Manzoni
- Marina Brogi
- Enrico Minelli
- Antonella Bardoni
- Pierpaolo Camadini
- Ester Faia
- Alessandra Del Boca
- Carlo Garavaglia
- Letizia Bellini Cavalletti
- Andrea Cesare Resti
- Marco Giacinto Gallarati
- Maurizio Zucchi
- Dorino Mario Agliardi
- Luca Vittorio Cividini
The Management Board:
- Chairman: Franco Polotti
- Deputy Chairman: Giorgio Frigeri
- Chief Executive Officer: Victor Massiah
- Board members:
- Silvia Fidanza
- Luciana Gattinoni
- Italo Lucchini
- Flavio Pizzini
- Francesco Iorio
- Elvio Sonnino
General Manager: Francesco Iorio Honorary Chairman: Giuseppe Vigorelli
- "decreto-legge 18 ottobre 2012, n. 179; art. 23-quater" (PDF).
- "Articles of association (in English)" (PDF).
- "Consob issuers – listed companies (in english)".
- Starting from a pro-forma CET1 as at 1/1/2014 – estimated according to Basel 3 rules and with the application of the comprehensive assessment methodology – of 12.25%