UCLA Center for the Study of Women
UCLA Center for the Study of Women (CSW) is an organized unit at the University of California, Los Angeles and a member of the National Council for Research on Women. Founded in 1984, the center works to develop and disseminate faculty and graduate student research on gender, sexuality, and women's issues through conferences, grants, seminars, and publications. Since its creation, CSW has sponsored hundreds of events and performances at UCLA and the surrounding Los Angeles area that pertain to gender, sexuality, and women's issues. CSW has hosted the academic journals Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society and Journal of Middle East Women's Studies.
The Center for the Study of Women was approved as an organized research unit by the Regents of the University of California in 1984, becoming the first organized research unit in the University of California system dedicated to research on gender related issues. The center works with UCLA's Women Studies Program to develop curriculum and promote feminist scholarship among UCLA students.
- 1986 Research on Women and Gender : a Directory of UCLA Scholars
- 1995 Encountering the Glass Ceiling: Gender, Values, and the Structure of Work Conference Proceedings (UCLA Institute of Industrial Relations)
- 1992 "Gender, Islam and democratization in Jordan : the case of Toujan al-Faysal" Conference Proceeding (G.E. von Grunebaum Center for Near Eastern Studies)
- 2001-2005 Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society.
- 2006-2010 Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies
- 2005–present CSW Update
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2011)
- Rachel C. Lee: 2015–present
- Kathleen McHugh: 2005–2014
- Christine Littleton: 2003–05
- Miriam Silverberg: 2000–03
- Sandra Harding: 1996–99
- Kathryn Norberg: 1992–95
- Helen Astin: 1990–91
- Julia Wrigley: 1990–91
- Carrie Menkel-Meadow: 1988–90
- Letitia Anne Peplau: 1988–90
- Karen Rowe: 1984–88 (Founding Director)
- "Center for the Study of Women". National Council for Research on Women. Retrieved 2 August 2011.
- "UCLA Center for the Study of Women". Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- The Center for Research on Women (CROW). "set cell vertical height University-based Research Centers on Race, Class & Gender". The University Of Memphis. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Women's Studies Programs, Departments, Centers, and Libraries". Women's Studies Librarian's Office. University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Betty W. Taylor; Sharon Rush; Robert John Munro (1999). Feminist Jurisprudence, Women and the Law: Critical Essays, Research Agenda, and Bibliography. Buffalo, New York: Fred B. Rothman Publications. ISBN 0-8377-1224-6.
- Fiol-Matta, Liza; Mariam Chamberlain (1994). Women of Color and the Multicultural Curriculum: Transforming the College Classroom. New York: The Feminist Press. ISBN 1-55861-082-0. Retrieved 28 July 2011.