|Principal||jef and bob|
|Chair of Governors||Professor David Price|
|DfE URN||137181 Tables|
|Affiliations||University College London|
The UCL Academy is a secondary school located in Camden, London, United Kingdom and sponsored by University College London (UCL). It opened in September 2012 with 180 students in Year 7 and recently reached full capacity as of September 2016.
The concept of a new academy school in Camden sponsored by UCL was first announced by Malcolm Grant, the UCL Provost, in November 2007. In March 2010 Sylvia Jones, headteacher at Valentines High School in Ilford, Essex, was appointed as the first Principal of the Academy, and Professor David Price, Vice-Provost (Research) of UCL, as Chair of the Academy Governing Body. In July 2010 it was reported that Sylvia Jones would no longer be taking up the role of Principal, and would instead be remaining at Valentines High School.
On 6 August 2010 Education Secretary Michael Gove announced that the Academy would receive a requested £30 million capital allocation and would therefore proceed. It was revealed on 9 September 2010 that the opening of the Academy had been delayed for one year, and would now open in September 2012.
The Academy admitted its first pupils in September 2012.
The school operates under a co-principal model. Its co-principals are Robin Street and Simon McBride.
The Academy is housed in new, purpose-built accommodation located on Adelaide Road. Facilities in the new accommodation include:
- suites of rooms for cross curricular general learning called Superstudios;
- suites of rooms for art, music and drama, including performance spaces;
- science laboratories, and a science demonstration theatre for lectures, experiments and talks by visiting academics from UCL;
- an engineering science suite, including workshops and technology and science labs; and
- House areas, providing places for students to eat together, and for informal study during breaks and before and after school.
Plans for the new building received planning permission in August 2010.
- "Home". UCL Academy. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "UCL Academy to open one year late". Camden New Journal. 9 September 2010. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Natural progression". The Guardian. 20 November 2007. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "Principal appointed to lead new UCL Academy". University College London. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "University College London Academy’s first head Sylvia Jones quits role". Camden New Journal. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "UCL Academy to proceed". University College London. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "Michael Gove’s go-ahead as UCL academy survives big cuts". Camden New Journal. 12 August 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "School of the future... new state superschool UCL Academy". London Evening Standard. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Message from the Co-Principals | UCL Academy". www.uclacademy.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "New building". UCL Academy. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "UCL Academy looks set to get Gove's green light". Hampstead & Highgate Express. 6 August 2010. Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "Academy ethos and values". UCL Academy. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- "Emphasis on Mandarin at UCL academy". London Evening Standard. 22 September 2008. Retrieved 7 September 2010.