University of California Television
|University of California Television|
|Owned by||University of California|
|Slogan||Great Minds Gather Here.|
|Also available on selected cable systems in California||Check local listings|
University of California Television (known simply as UCTV) is a 24-hour satellite television channel presenting educational and enrichment programming from the campuses, national laboratories, and affiliated institutions of the University of California system. UCTV's non-commercial programming delivers science, health and medicine, public affairs, humanities, and the arts to a general audience, as well as specialized programming for health care professionals and teachers. Programming includes documentaries, lectures, debates, interviews, performances and more.
UCTV was available nationwide on Dish Network (channel 9412) (service terminated by Dish as of March 1, 2012, see "Where to watch" below), as an Educational-access television cable TV channel in California, and C-Band satellite as an MPEG 2 feed. UCTV can also be seen worldwide via live webstream, video-on-demand archives (Flash files), and offers both audio and video podcasts for downloading. UCTV programs are also available on YouTube and iTunesU Beyond Campus.
UCTV launched in January 2000 on the Dish Network and is based on the UC San Diego campus where UCSD-TV is also located. UCTV collects programming from each of the ten University of California campuses (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Los Angeles, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz) and affiliated institutions (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, UC Agriculture & Natural Resources, UC Office of the President, UC Sacramento Center, UC Washington DC Center).
UCTV airs 25 hours of original programming per week on a rotating 24-hour schedule of three-hour thematic blocks in the areas of science, health and medicine, public affairs, humanities, and arts and music
UCTV also features a one-hour program block for teachers called The Teacher's P.E.T. (Professional Education for Teachers) (Monday through Thursday at 4pm Pacific), which has a companion website that aligns each program with California State Content standards.
UCTV offers a one-hour program block for health care professionals called The Med Ed Hour (Tuesday through Thursday at noon Pacific), featuring medical programs for physicians, nurses and other health care professionals.
UCTV series include:
- Atoms to X-Rays: This series produced in 2001 and 2002 explores advances and research in physical sciences through presentations about the activities of UCSD's Division of Physical Sciences. The series also features web-based learning activities and materials for students and teachers.
- Bear in Mind: An interview program featuring UC Berkeley's Chancellor.
- Behind the White Coat: Interviews with scientists working and consulting at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Burke Lectureship on Religion & Society: Scholars and theologians explore the function and responsibility of religion in modern society, and its role in forming social and moral values.
- California Master Gardener Lecture Series: Lectures from the Master Gardener Program about home gardening.
- CalPEN: The California Preparedness Education Network (CalPEN) teaches disaster preparedness for primary care providers.
- Center for Film, Television and New Media at UC Santa Barbara: Programs from this series range from media ownership issues to the state of journalism today.
- City Club Presents: The City Club of San Diego hosts speakers in politics, journalism, literature and the arts.
- Clark Kerr Lecture Series on the Role of Higher Education
- College Bound: Intended for middle school and high school students (and their parents).
- Conversations with History: Interviews and discussion of political, economic, military, legal, cultural, and social issues from UC Berkeley's Institute of International Studies.
- COSMOS Discovery Lecture
- Democracy and Global Islam
- Economics Roundtable
- Encuentros: Former US Ambassador to Mexico Jeffrey Davidow and now president of the Institute of the Americas interviews government leaders from Latin America on issues in the public debate throughout the Southern Hemisphere.
- Endangered Species Act at 30: Lessons and Prospects
- Focus on Origins
- Grey Matters: Recent developments in brain research.
- Health Matters
- Health Sciences Journal: A variety of topics concerning current medical research from UCSD School of Medicine faculty and guests.
- Healthy Women, Healthy Families: Health information for women of childbearing. Available in English and Spanish.
- Helen Edison Lecture Series: Lectures on humanitarian purposes and objectives.
- Humanitas: Sponsored by the UCSB Interdisciplinary Humanities Center and the Herman P. and Sophia Taubman Foundation Endowed Symposia in Jewish Studies.
- Institute of Governmental Studies, UC Berkeley (IGS)
- Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice Distinguished Lecture Series: International leaders and policy makers on issues related to peace and justice, sponsored by the Institute for Peace and Justice at the University of San Diego.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Summer Lecture Series
- Legacy of Slavery
- Let There Be Light
- Long Marine Lab: 25 Years of Science and Education
- Lunch Poems Reading Series: UC Berkeley's noontime poetry reading series.
- MDTV (health and medicine television)
- MDTV: People and Pets
- MIND Institute Summer Series on Neurodevelopmental Disorders: The UC Davis M.I.N.D. (Medical Investigation of Neurodevelopmental Disorders) Institute] presents lectures on autism and autism spectrum disorders, fragile X syndrome, and other developmental disorders.
- Natural Reserve System
- On Beyond: Science and research at the University of California.
- OperaTalk! with Nick Reveles
- Osher Lifelong Learning Presents: Health information from the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UC San Francisco.
- Perspectives on Ocean Science
- Revelle Forum at the Neurosciences Institute: The Revelle Forum presents a series of lectures, readings, and public interviews with figures from the worlds of arts and culture, literature, current events, and the media.
- Richard and Rhoda Goldman School of Public Policy at UC Berkeley: Scholars and practitioners who have made substantial contributions to the field of public policy, presented by the Goldman School of Public Policy at UC Berkeley.
- Science Matters: Advances and research in life sciences.
- Science, Religion and the Human Experience
- Scripps Explorations - From Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Aging in the New Millennium
- SIRA (Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging): The Sam and Rose Stein Institute for Research on Aging] presents research being conducted by the center’s medical faculty.
- Soundscape: Musical performances by faculty, students and visitors to UCSB.
- State of Minds: Magazine program featuring stories from each of the ten campuses of the University of California.
- SummerFest: Presentations of chamber music concerts, multi-disciplinary lectures, round table discussions and open rehearsals from the La Jolla Music Society.
- Tamkin Symposium at UC Irvine School of Medicine: Series from UC Irvine School of Medicine.
- Taking Control of your Diabetes: Series from the non-profit organization of the same name, dealing with diabetes management.
- Technology Management Program: From UCSB
- The Body Politic: Host Michael Bernstein, a professor of history and economics at the University of California, San Diego interviews experts on the issues creating local, national and international news.
- The Charles M. and Martha Hitchcock Lectures: From UC Berkeley
- The ICL Forum - Institute for Continued Learning
- UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism Presents
- UC Grand Rounds Series
- UCLA Faculty Research Lectures
- UCLA Next: This magazine show-style program is created and produced by undergraduate and graduate students from UCLA.
- UCSD Cardiovascular Center: Cardiovascular Update
- UCSF Osher Mini Medical School
- Uniqueness of California
- University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources: UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources presents programs on agricultural, nutrition and eating wisely, wildlands, and ways to conserve natural resources in California.
- Voices: UCSB faculty and guests talk about issues and topics ranging from poetry to scientific research to historical figures and their impact on society.
- Von Liebig Forum: Host Paul Kedrosky interviews leaders in industry and academia on innovation & entrepreneurship in this series sponsored by the William J. von Liebig Center at the Jacobs School of Engineering, UC San Diego.
- Walter H. Capps Center Series: The Capps Center at UCSB presents public lectures about issues related to ethics, values and public life.
- Musicians and Middle Schools: What Creativity Means: Series of presentations designed for classroom use in middle schools.
- Women’s Health Today (WHAT)
- Writer's Symposium By The Sea: This annual event sponsored by Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego features interviews with professional writers.
- K35DG-D (UCSD-TV)