UC San Diego Tritons baseball
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|UC San Diego Tritons|
|Overall record||931–682–10 (.577)|
|University||University of California, San Diego|
|Head coach||Eric Newman (10th season)|
|Location||La Jolla, California|
|Home stadium||Triton Ballpark |
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
|College World Series runner-up|
|Division II: 2010, 2017|
|College World Series appearances|
|Division II: 2009, 2010, 2017, 2018, 2019 |
Division III: 1987, 1994
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|Division II: 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 |
Division III: 1986, 1987, 1989, 1992, 1994
|Conference tournament champions|
|2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014|
|2009, 2010, 2011, 2012|
The UC San Diego Tritons baseball program represents the University of California San Diego at the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division I level as a member of the Big West Conference (Big West). The Tritons have made several appearances in the Division II tournament, mostly under the leadership of former head coach Dan O'Brien. The Tritons reached the Division II College World Series for the First time in 2009, finishing fourth. In 2010, the Tritons enjoyed their most successful season to date, compiling a record of 54–8, and reaching the Division II national championship where they eventually fell.
The UC San Diego baseball team plays its home games at Triton Ballpark in La Jolla, which was renovated in 2014. In 2005, the Tritons were the CCAA league champions. In 2007 and 2008, they reached the NCAA West Regionals. In 2009, after winning the CCAA league and CCAA tournament, they advanced to the NCAA Division II College World Series under the leadership of coach Dan O'Brien and infielder Vance Albitz, where they placed fourth. In 2010, they were the College World Series runners-up and the CCAA league and tournament champions. In 2011 and 2012, they repeated as CCAA league and tournament champions, again reaching the NCAA West Regionals. They won the CCAA tournament in 2014 as well. In 2017, they were CCAA tournament runners-up and NCAA West Region champions, and placed second in the College World Series.
Triton baseball, like most UCSD athletic programs, will transition to the NCAA Division I Big West Conference beginning in 2020. They will not be eligible for the Division I College World Series until the reclassification period ends.
|Vince Askey (D-III Ind.) (1980–1981)|
|Vince Askey:||20–41 (0.328)|
|Lyle Yates (D-III Ind.) (1982–1994)|
|1986||Lyle Yates||22–16–2||NCAA Regional|
|1987||Lyle Yates||32–13||DIII College World Series|
|1989||Lyle Yates||23–19||NCAA Regional|
|1992||Lyle Yates||28–9–1||NCAA Regional|
|1994||Lyle Yates||33–8||DIII College World Series|
|Lyle Yates:||262–226–8 (0.528)|
|Robert Fletcher (D-III Ind.) (1995–1997)|
|Robert Fletcher:||57–50–1 (0.528)|
|Dan O'Brien (D-III Ind.) (1998–2000)|
|Dan O'Brien (D-III):||61–49 (0.555)|
|Division III (total):||400–366–9 (0.516)|
|Dan O'Brien (D-II CCAA) (2001–2011)|
|2001||Dan O'Brien||14–34||CCAA Tournament|
|2002||Dan O'Brien||30–23–1||NCAA West Regional|
|2003||Dan O'Brien||25–28||CCAA Tournament|
|2004||Dan O'Brien||35–24||CCAA Tournament|
|2005||Dan O'Brien||37–20||NCAA West Regional|
|2006||Dan O'Brien||35–24||CCAA Tournament|
|2007||Dan O'Brien||37–25||NCAA West Regional|
|2008||Dan O'Brien||43–18||NCAA West Regional|
|2009||Dan O'Brien||41–15||College World Series|
|2010||Dan O'Brien||54–8||National Runners-Up|
|2011||Dan O'Brien||42–15||NCAA West Regional|
|Dan O'Brien (D-II):||393–234–1 (0.625)|
|Dan O'Brien (total):||454–283–1 (0.615)|
|Eric Newman (D-II CCAA) (2012–present)|
|2012||Eric Newman||33–24||NCAA West Regional|
|2013||Eric Newman||26–24||CCAA Tournament|
|2014||Eric Newman||38–16||NCAA West Regional|
|2015||Eric Newman||36–21||NCAA West Regional|
|2016||Eric Newman||31–21||CCAA Tournament|
|2017||Eric Newman||44–19||National Runners-Up|
|2018||Eric Newman||43–17||2018 NCAA Division II Baseball Tournament|
|2019||Eric Newman||41–16||2019 NCAA Division II Baseball Tournament|
|Eric Newman:||292–158 (0.649)|
|Division II (total):||746–441–1 (0.628)|
Postseason invitational champion
- Kyle Abbott, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Philadelphia Phillies
- Vance Albitz, St. Louis Cardinals
- Alex Cremidan, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Ryan Hill, Kansas City Royals
- Guido Knudson, Detroit Tigers
- Randy Miller, Baltimore Orioles, Montreal Expos
- Dillon Moyer, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bob Natal, Montreal Expos, Florida Marlins<ref>,UCSDtritons.com,<ref>
- Tony York, Chicago Cubs
- "Baseball Record Book – UCSDTritons.com—Official Web Site of UC San Diego Athletics". Ucsdtritons.com. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- "UC San Diego Brand Guidelines" (PDF). July 6, 2016. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- "Baseball – Schedule/Results – UCSDTritons.com—Official Web Site of UC San Diego Athletics". Ucsdtritons.com. Retrieved April 25, 2017.
- Loh, Stefanie (April 10, 2015). "UCSD unveils new $6.89M ballpark". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- "Back On Top! No. 18 UCSD Reclaims CCAA Supremacy With Record Sixth Tournament Banner". UCSD Tritons. University of California, San Diego. May 10, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Kenney, Kirk (June 4, 2017). "UCSD's national title hopes end with 5-2 loss to West Chester (Pa.)". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Schneider, Gabe (November 27, 2017). "UC San Diego to Move to Division I Sports". The Triton. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
|This article about a baseball team in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|