UC Senior Secondary College Lake Ginninderra
|UC Senior Secondary College Lake Ginninderra|
|Motto||Commitment to Excellence|
|Colour(s)||Green and Blue
University of Canberra Senior Secondary College Lake Ginninderra, formerly known as Lake Ginninderra College until 2011, is a public secondary college catering for students in Years 11 and 12. It is located in the Australian Capital Territory, Australia, situated on the lakefront of Lake Ginninderra.
Lake Ginninderra College was established in 1987, with John Cope being appointed as founding Principal. The college has continued to experience growth even in recent times, with student enrolments up 20% in 2010 on the previous year, and a workforce which now consists of over 65 staff, with 44 of those being teachers.
Australian Institute of Sport Program
University of Canberra Senior Secondary College Lake Ginninderra is the designated college for students in Years 11 and 12 attending the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), consistent with a Memorandum of Understanding between the Australian Sports Commission and the ACT Government. The College provides AIS students with a range of programs to enable completion of their secondary education while training at the Institute.
The college is located in Belconnen, Canberra. Following its completion in 1987, the unique architecture of the campus gained local recognition, and was awarded the ACT Architecture Merit Award. Daryl Jackson, an internationally renowned Australian architect, also featured the college in an article in which he discussed several of his personal favourite school designs, the thinking, underpinning the designs and what makes them work effectively.
Facilities of the college include a gym, cafeteria, library, theatre and drama studio, dance studio, TV studio, editing booths and four-track sound recording facility. There are six computing laboratories, an IT Skills Centre and a CAD room. The science faculty boasts a Video Microscope, an Atomic Absorption, IR and 4 UV Visible Spectrophotometers. The college was also the first school in Australia to have its own wind tunnel, used in conducting scientific experiments on fluid dynamics and atmospheric conditions.
Year 12 Certification and Tertiary Entrance
The college offers students over eighty courses of study for the award of the ACT Year 12 Certificate, with students who complete a T (Tertiary) Package able to sit the ACT Scaling Test (AST) to obtain an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) for admission to university.
In 2009, nearly 84% of students went on to receive a Year 12 certificate, with a more select group of 38% of students receiving a Universities Admission Index (UAI). Of those students who receive a UAI, over 3% ranked in the top 5% of the index.
Vocational Education and Training courses
The college offers a large range of Vocational Education and Training courses (VET) programs. A high percentage of students who graduate with a Year 12 Certificate also receive at least one VET qualification. In 2009, over 81% of students year 12 students received at least one VET qualification, with over 18% receiving a VET certificate.
Notable students and alumni
- Mustafa Amini - footballer
- David Andersen - basketball player
- Andrew Barr - politician
- Suzy Batkovic - basketball player
- Abby Bishop - basketball player
- Andrew Bogut - basketball player
- Dante Exum - basketball player for the Utah Jazz
- Lexie Feeney - archer
- Shane Heal - basketball player
- Belinda Hocking - backstroke swimmer
- Joe Ingles - basketball player
- Lauren Jackson - basketball player
- Rachel Jarry - basketball player
- Damian Martin - basketball player
- Patty Mills - basketball player
- Brad Newley - basketball player
- Luke Schenscher - basketball player
- Belinda Snell - basketball player
- Jane Waller - archer
- Taylor Worth - archer
- LGC Board Report 2009
- John Cope Lecture
- John Cope Principal reference - dated 1988
- Lake Ginninderra College - Special Programs
- Daryl Jackson Alastair Swayn (DJAS) Awards
- Devil in the detail of design - Jackson D
- Lake Ginninderra College - About The College
- Wind tunnel is Australian first
- Principal's Address
- "London 2012 - David Anderson Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Celebrating the Achievements of our Past Students", Education Directorate, ACT Government, archived from the original on 30 January 2017, retrieved 30 January 2017
- "London 2012 - Suzy Batkovic Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Abby Bishop Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Tuxworth, Jon (27 June 2014). "Dante Exum's Lake Ginninderra College teammates insist their mate is 'just like one of us'". The Canberra Times. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 11 August 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "London 2012 - Joseph Ingles Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Lauren JacksonAthlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Rachel Jarry Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Brad Newley Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Belinda Snell Athlete Profile". Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "London 2012 - Taylor Worth Athlete Profile". Retrieved 4 August 2012.