UEFA European Championship awards
At the end of each UEFA European Championship tournament, several awards are attributed to the players and teams which have distinguished from the rest, in different aspects of the game.
There are currently five post-tournament awards, and one given during the tourney:
- the Player of the Tournament for best player, first awarded in 1996;
- the Golden Boot (currently commercially termed adidas Golden Boot) for most prolific goal scorer;
- the Young Player of the Tournament (currently commercially termed as SOCAR Young Player of the Tournament) for best under 21 years of age at the start of the calendar year, first awarded in 2016;
- the Man of the Match Award for outstanding performance during each game of the tournament, first awarded in 1996;
- the Team of the Tournament for best combined team of players at the tournament.
Player of the Tournament
|England 1996||Matthias Sammer|
|Belgium and Netherlands 2000||Zinedine Zidane|
|Portugal 2004||Theodoros Zagorakis|
|Austria and Switzerland 2008||Xavi|
|Poland and Ukraine 2012||Andrés Iniesta|
|France 2016||Antoine Griezmann|
The Golden Boot award goes to the top goalscorer of each edition of the UEFA European Championship.
If there is more than one player with the same number of goals, since 2008 the tie-breaker goes to the player who has contributed the most assists. If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker since goes to the player who has played the least amount of time.
|Edition||Golden Boot||Silver Boot||Bronze Boot|
|France 1960|| Milan Galić
|Spain 1964|| Ferenc Bene
Jesús María Pereda
|Italy 1968||Dragan Džajić||2|
|Belgium 1972||Gerd Müller||4|
|Yugoslavia 1976||Dieter Müller||4|
|Italy 1980||Klaus Allofs||3|
|France 1984||Michel Platini||9|
|West Germany 1988||Marco van Basten||5|
|Sweden 1992|| Dennis Bergkamp
|England 1996||Alan Shearer||5|
|Belgium and Netherlands 2000|| Patrick Kluivert
|Portugal 2004||Milan Baroš||5|
|Austria and Switzerland 2008||David Villa||4|
|Poland and Ukraine 2012||Fernando Torres||3 goals, 1 assist (189 minutes)||Mario Gómez||3 goals, 1 assist (282 minutes)||Alan Dzagoev||3 goals, 0 assist (253 minutes)|
|France 2016||Antoine Griezmann||6 goals, 2 assists (555 minutes)||Cristiano Ronaldo||3 goals, 3 assists (625 minutes)||Olivier Giroud||3 goals, 2 assists (456 minutes)|
Young Player of the Tournament
The Young Player of the Tournament award is presented to the best player in the tournament who is at most 22 years old. For the UEFA Euro 2016, this meant that the player had to have been born on or after 1 January 1994. The award was first given out in 2016.
|France 2016||Renato Sanches||18|
Man of the Match Award
As of 10 July 2016
|Rank||Player||Country||MoM||WC with awards|
|1||Andrés Iniesta||Spain||6||2008, 2012, 2016|
|2||Cristiano Ronaldo||Portugal||5||2004, 2008, 2012, 2016|
|3||Zinedine Zidane||France||4||1996, 2000, 2004|
|Andrea Pirlo||Italy||2004, 2008, 2012|
|5||Luís Figo||Portugal||3||1996, 2000, 2004|
Team of the Tournament
The Team of the Tournament is a team of the best performers at each respective UEFA European Championship edition. From 1960 until 1992, only 11 players were chosen. In 1996, this was increased to 18 players, and in 2000 it was increased to 22 players. From 2004 until 2012, 23 players were chosen. In 2016, the format was changed back to 11 players.
All-time Euro XI
In June 2016, ahead of UEFA Euro 2016 in France, UEFA published an All-time Euro XI; the winning team was chosen based on votes cast on EURO2016.com and Twitter. The application featured the 50 players who have made the greatest impact at EURO final tournaments. Nominees had to meet at least two of the following four criteria:
- Appeared in at least a semi-final
- Featured in a Team of the Tournament
- Finished a EURO tournament as top scorer
- Produced an iconic EURO moment
- "UEFA EURO 2016 at a glance". UEFA. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Late surge earns Torres adidas Golden Boot". UEFAs. 1 July 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "France forward Antoine Griezmann wins Golden Boot". UEFA.com. UEFA. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Saffer, Paul (10 July 2016). "Iniesta holds off Ronaldo as man of the match master". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. Archived from the original on 21 May 2019. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "European Championships - UEFA Teams of Tournament". RSSSF. 14 August 2004. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "UEFA Euro report" (PDF). UEFA.
- "All-Star Squad Revealed". UEFA. 5 July 2004. Retrieved 5 July 2004.
- "Spain dominate Team of the Tournament". UEFA. 1 July 2008. Retrieved 8 June 2012.
- "Ten Spain players in Team of the Tournament". UEFA. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "UEFA EURO 2016 Team of the Tournament revealed". UEFA. 11 July 2016. Archived from the original on 16 July 2016. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Your All-time EURO 11 revealed". UEFA.com. 7 June 2016. Retrieved 7 June 2016.