This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
UEI College Logo
UEI College is a United States career education for-profit school that specializes in automobile, business, computer, dental, medical, and pharmacy professions. The school was founded in 1975 as United Education Institute and changed its name to UEI College in 2009. It has locations in Central California and Southern California, Florida and Georgia.
UEI Colleges in Huntington Park, Anaheim, Chula Vista, El Monte, Encino, Ontario, San Marcos, Stockton, and Morrow are accredited through the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). The Bakersfield, Gardena, Fresno and Riverside locations are accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), which is a national accrediting organization in the United States that provides accreditation to cate students for occupational, trade and technical careers." UEI-Houston and UEI-Phoenix were formerly accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), which was de-recognized by the United States Department of Education.
Ufailing to fulfill promises of helping with job placement.
- "UEI Admission Representatives sold these students the criminal justice program knowing most of them could never get a job in this field."
- "... there was no one in Career Services working on getting these students jobs during my tenure. ... If they complain, UEI gets them security guard positions, which could have been obtained without spending thousands of dollars on a UEI certificate."
- "...UEI knows full well that most of the students will not be able to get positions in any CJ field."
In 2012, the Accrediting Commission of the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET) prohibited certain UEI College campuses from enrolling new students due to the low job placement rates of graduates.
In 2011, the Huntington Park Medical Assistant had a 33.87% job placement rate. The program had 815 graduates eligible for job placement, but only 276 were able to find employment. The following year the job placement rate was 25%. The program had 144 graduates eligible for job placement, and only 36 graduates were able to find employment.
UEI has been placed on probation numerous times by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) for failing to comply with accreditation standards.
Cordova, et al. v. United Education Institute, et al. Claimants sued United Education Institute and IEC Corporation ("UEI"), alleging that UEI used deceptive practices and misrepresentations in its in-person admissions process. Claimants alleged UEI misrepresented to prospective students that graduates of UEI would be in “high-demand” by employers, and misrepresented to prospective students the job placement rate of UEI graduates. The case settled for $9,000,000 in 2016.
$19,500 for an 8-9 month program. (The average cost of one year of community college in California is $1,104 for residents. In Georgia, the average cost is $2,378 per year for residents attending community colleges.)
Financial aid information
UEI College's Federal School Code is 017169.
Tuition and fees average $13,665 and the net price average is $23,240.
The amount for tuition and fees apply to full-time first-time degree/certificate-seeking students. Net price average is the average yearly price charged to full-time, first-time undergraduate students receiving student aid after deducting any grant and scholarship aid. It provides an idea of how much a first-time, full-time undergraduate student who receives grant/scholarship aid pays to attend an institution after subtracting the aid.
- Anaheim, California
- Bakersfield, California
- Chula Vista, California
- Gardena, California, formerly in Cerritos
- El Monte, California
- Encino, California
- Fresno, California
- Huntington Park, California
- Ontario, California
- Riverside, California
- San Bernardino, California
- San Diego, California
- San Marcos, California
- Stockton, California
- Morrow, Georgia
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Houston, Texas
- Automotive Technician
- Business Management, Associates of Applied Science
- Business Office Administration
- Computer Systems Technician
- Criminal Justice
- Criminal Security Administration
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Insurance Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
- Vocational Nursing
- "ACICS Loss of Accreditation Recognition". Ed.gov. Retrieved 2017-04-10.
- Scauzillo, Paul. "Letter from Paul Scazillo, former instructor at UEI College, to Chairman Tom Harkin, July 7, 2010" (PDF). Senate.gov.
- "Letter from ACCET to IEC International Corporation" (PDF). Docs.accet.org. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Public Notice of Probation" (PDF). Accsc.org. 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "CaliforniaColleges.edu". Secure.californiacolleges.edu. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- "Top Georgia Community Colleges (2018-19)". Communitycollegereview.com. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- [dead link]